API nitrate test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an API test kit and testing my water. Everytime I test for nitrates with it I get 20 no matter what! Any clues why it could be like this. Tank looks health and fish are acting normal. Think kit could have something wrong with it?

Try a larger than normal water change and see if that makes a difference.

Ok I did a 20 percent tonight. Ill have to do another tomorrow I'm not going to stress the tang out to much don't want go stress him out! Another other better test kits out there?

I had that kit and its horrible get a good quality kit like Red Sea Pro or Salifert. Are you using tap water or RO/DI water?

I'm using tap water but have never had a problem with it before... Not sure what it is to be honest....before I filled the tank I tested it and it all came out ok.....

I mean the fish are doing great dont seem stressed at all but I was hoping to have some corals soon but not with these results.....

Ok checked nitrates in tap water and they are 0 just cleaned my filter hardcore so hopefully that's what it is. I need to just give up and get a sump. /:

R you following the directions to the "T"? If you don't, the results WILL be wrong and sometimes result in the same PPM.

I have API and Salifert. While I used API for a long time, I recommend salifert for nitrates.

Yeah directions are getting followed. My skimmer is broken and a new one is due any day now. Praying it comes tomorrow....been out of order for bout week and half. Does the skimmer play a big roll in nitrates? Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

API Nitrates on my reef are always 100% accurate I love the test kit couldn't ask for a better test kit.

But also 20 is not harmful to fish. I would probably be more worried if it when up to 40 that will probably stress out your tang.

Ok thanks I'm just hoping my protein skimmer is getting here soon. My remora broke And I contacted customer service and they are sending me a brand new one so very pleased with aqua C. But dying to get it back in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom