Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Red face API Test Kit

I purchased an API SW Master test kit. I figured while my tank is cycling I could practice with it so that I would have the hang of it when I'm able to put in some livestock. One thing I'm never sure about with these kinds of kits is matching the shade of the water with the right shade on the chart. When I hold the tube against the card like the directions say it appears one shade. But if i turn in the light in appears another shade. One way the light is coming through the tube and the shade appears light. The other is still in the light but it's not coming through the tube and it appears darker and more equivilent to a higher result. Is there a trick to getting this accurate so I know I'm reading it right?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

The main thing is to always read it the same way. The colors are hard to make out and distinguish, but if you're consistent you can at least be sure of increasing or decreasing values.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, the only one I have issues with on that test kit is the pH.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
The main thing is to always read it the same way. The colors are hard to make out and distinguish, but if you're consistent you can at least be sure of increasing or decreasing values.
That makes good sense HN1. I'm like Roka, the one I'm most concerned with is the pH test. With the light coming through it appears to be at 8.4 but when I look at it the other way it looks like 8.8. I read that API sells a pH additive that will maintain the pH @ 8.2. Does anyone have experiance with this? If I use this additive and it does maintain an 8.2, then that would give me a benchmark to go by.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm a bit of a prude when it comes to chemicals, especially pH adjusters. A constant, stable value (within reason of course) is more important IMO than acheiving a specific number. pH readings will also vary depending upon the time of your lighting cycle that you test, so be sure to test at the same time for comparison.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Woody, I wouldn't even test the pH till after the cycle and it will still be a little out of whack until the tank settles. Also, measure it at around the same time everyday. It will drop after lights out and rise after lights on.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Sliced Bread

I'm with these guys. Consistency. Or get a digital reader
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have the same problem with the Ph Test, but the best way to compare colors is placing the tube against the white area on the card and puting it against the light... it works for me

Tags
api, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com