Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #31
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I have read several forums, compliments of google, and have seen several of threads similar to this one. The main thing ive seen from the manufacturers, including api, are that nitrate tests are compulsively wrong... The reason being that the solution in bottle number two can solidify causing a false reading... I wonder if there is any correlation between the two?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I shake mine for a full minute, even though it says 20 seconds or whatever. I think if you let it sit long enough, that might happen, but if you test regularly it shouldn't. Also I'm down to probably less than 10 tests left in one set, so I bought a second set (API) and did a side-by-side test, and the differences were negligible. I shake it like mad and rotate the bottle during.

Out of curiosity though, I think I will be purchasing the Seachem test kit.

This may be moot however, as I have an RO/DI that came with my SW setup that I may start using for all PWCs FW or SW. Mainly on FW to eliminate silicates.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
Kurt
I'm not sure what you're getting at, Do you think I'm making this stuff up? That was their answer (I copied the entire email over with email addresses which Scott removed because of the Bots), what would you like for me to do. ...

...My intent was to share my experince and findings thinking it may help someone out with the same problem I was going thru, instead I get the 3rd degree . Lesson learned, from now on I know what not to do.
Keith,

I wasn't giving you the 3rd degree, and I don't think you're making this stuff up.

The only reason I posted was because you said...

Quote:
I posted the email correspondence in which the response was yes that Prime will affect said tests when using the API test kits.
... but if you go back and read Seachem's response, that's not really what they said. They did not say "yes" at all... they said "it is very possible to get false readings". It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but in no way are they giving you a definitive answer with that statement. Saying "it is very possible to get false readings" is no different than saying "it is very possible to get correct readings". Take your pick.

And my other point is that this seems to be normal operating procedure with Seachem when confronted with pretty straight forward questions... they don't really give you an answer.

I'm not giving you the third degree at all... I'm just trying to point out that Seachem isn't really giving you the answers you're looking for in that email.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I have read several forums, compliments of google, and have seen several of threads similar to this one. The main thing ive seen from the manufacturers, including api, are that nitrate tests are compulsively wrong... The reason being that the solution in bottle number two can solidify causing a false reading... I wonder if there is any correlation between the two?
If I didn't have two API test Nitrate test kits I would thought the kit was bad but both gave me the same readings. When I bought both the API SW master and Reef master test kits each one comes with a nitrate test kit, when using the nitrate test kits bottle 2 gets shaken violently for a minute as well and when the boss is around she shakes it for a couple of minutes then she does the test. This is what made me look further.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I shake mine for a full minute, even though it says 20 seconds or whatever. I think if you let it sit long enough, that might happen, but if you test regularly it shouldn't. Also I'm down to probably less than 10 tests left in one set, so I bought a second set (API) and did a side-by-side test, and the differences were negligible. I shake it like mad and rotate the bottle during.

Out of curiosity though, I think I will be purchasing the Seachem test kit.

This may be moot however, as I have an RO/DI that came with my SW setup that I may start using for all PWCs FW or SW. Mainly on FW to eliminate silicates.
Bottle 2 shaken violently=yes with 2 API kits (And do test regularly). Seachem says to use their test kits when using prime because they are not affected by the use of prime. I Believe you have to use RO Right if you're going to use RO/DI water for fresh water.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Keith,

.. but if you go back and read Seachem's response, that's not really what they said. They did not say "yes" at all... they said "it is very possible to get false readings". It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but in no way are they giving you a definitive answer with that statement. Saying "it is very possible to get false readings" is no different than saying "it is very possible to get correct readings". Take your pick.
You're absolutely right, they said it is very possible which I took as a yes because it was what I was experiencing. Their answer does leave little to be desired and could be interpreted either way.

Quote:
And my other point is that this seems to be normal operating procedure with Seachem when confronted with pretty straight forward questions... they don't really give you an answer.

I'm not giving you the third degree at all... I'm just trying to point out that Seachem isn't really giving you the answers you're looking for in that email.
This was my first experience dealing with seachem tech support, and yes their answer is inconclusive. Even in their words the bottle should have warnings on it indicating the possibility of getting erroneous test results with other manufacturers test kits when using this product.

You know I originally bought prime to be used as a chlorine/chloramine remover with my RO/DI water for PWC's in my QT (then started using it in my DT) and thought the additional features of the product couldn't hurt, after all I heard nothing but good things about it. I will keep a bottle on hand for emergencies but have gone back to Marine Stress Coat for treating my water. In any case their answer even as vague as it was, was enough for me to continue my search for the problem in my tank after testing with their Nitrate test Kit.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keith, a RO/DI unit removes chlorine/chloramine. I don't believe you need to use prime or Marine stress coat to remove them.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know, It's a habit because I do it for the FW tank and before the RO/DI unit also with the SW. I figure it can't hurt anything if i still do it to the RO/DI water.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just thought I'd save you a few pennies so you can buy more corals.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanx, I appreciate it TC.

Tags
api, prime, rim, test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com