Aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed one small anemone looking creature on one of my rocks which appears to be aptasia.
How do i get rid of it?
Can i just remove the rock and cut it off?

If you search the forum you will find hundreds of threads with various ways to remove them. Some inject lemon juice, peppermint shrimp eat them, I personally just take the rock out and burn the b@stard off with a lighter and then knife away any of the remaining foot. You can also buy a chemical to inject but I have never done this.

Search the forum and you will get loads of threads on removing them, some inject them with lemon juice, peppermint shrimp eat them, I take the rock out and burn them off with a lighter then pick out the foot with a knife.

I was going to take out the rock where it was which is to the back of my tank and i picked up the rock and flipped it and i couldnt seem to find it at all and i looked exactly where it was where there is no crevice for it to hide
Im thinking that my coral banded shrimp ate it
Could this be possible?

Coral banded aren't known for eating them...peppermint shrimp are supposed to. I'm fighting it off a rock that my blue symphodium came on, attacked my 4th today.

I bought a live rock from lfs that had about a dozen on it. I didnt realize it until i got home. Some lfs like them in their tanks to feed certain specimens. I asked the lfs store what to do and they told me the best way to rid them from your tank is to bring the rock back to the store and put it in their peppermint shrimp tank. They were all gone after 20 minutes. If you don't have that option they gave me a lime extract powder that makes a paste. The paste is meant to be injected into the hole the aiptasia is recessed into and every time it tries to come out it hits it. Intern it virtually melts itself. I also learned Through research that when you agitate them in the tank they multiply, so I would recommend taking the rock/rocks in and also buy a peppermint shrimp. Just thought I'd let you know how my aptaisia problem ended.

Nice to hear a story about peppermint shrimp working for aiptasia. I've been meaning to get another one after my first died, but it is reason to get another.

Does anybody know if the peppermint shrimp is compatible with a coral banded shrimp?

I would like to get a peppermint shrimp just in case any aptasia appears

Back
Top Bottom