aptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all
i am setting up a new tank and plan on using the live rock in my old tank, but it has lots of aptasia. i have tried joes juice but they always come back within a few days. i was wondering if a fresh water dip or even putting the rock in a rubbermaid bin with a power head without lights for a few days would work. please help.

thanks in advance.

You must not be hitting the aptasia correctly, or perhaps your joes juice is not good? Has it been sitting for a long time? Joes juice, if you get it in the anemone succesfully, will knock it out and it won't come back. You can use peppermint shrimp to keep your smaller aiptasia under control as well. A fw dip will get rid of them, and everything else on the rock as well....

HTH

Keep trying the joe's juice. I had one that survived 6 weeks in the dark while curing the live rock... 8O . Then I tried the joe juice and it didn't kill it the 1st time. So I put the syringe tip right inside the hole and gave it another shot. It died!! :D

your post

i kept 1 of these "pest" in my tank and it is a great addition. 1 peperment keeps the # of them to just 1. kinda cool

thanks for the replies,
i used the joes juice just as soon as i received the order and a couple of times since. i'll try it again, but just in case i decide to use the fresh water did, how long should i leave the rock in the fresh water? i don't mind if i loose stuff on the rocks since all that is on there is the aptasia.
thanks again

Use a turkey baster and boiling water. They do not have a chance. Quick and does not harm your rock etc.

Isnt there types of fish that eat those. I guess if they will eat them they probably will nip corals too. I probably answered my own question.

Yep, there is a fish and a slug that eat them. Problem with that is, once the aptasia are gone, these animals have such specialized diets that they soon after perish. I agree keep on them with the juice. And the addition of peppermint shrimp to help catch the small ones.

thanks for the replies. this may be a dumb question but i'll ask it anyway. if i use the turkey baster and boiling water, i take the rock out of the tank and shoot the water onto the aptasia, right?
thanks again

Back
Top Bottom