APTASIA OUTBREAK HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 75g tank has a few corals 2 clowns and alot of liverock, close to 120lbs. THe liverock came with a little aptasia and i didn;t think it would escalate to this. I have aptasia bad. there is many many aptasia babys on the sand bottom and it looks awful, i had a kalk type pwder to kill it but it didnt work, there is probably 10 large aptasias on the liverock that need to go, i really would like some advice on what i can do to save my tank.

This worries me a bit, I just put some new live rock in my tank that has already been cured at the LFS. Are these what your talking about? Should i worry about these?

Attachments

• pict0009_185.jpg
    pict0009_185.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 76
If you could get your hands on to some pepermint shrimp, I think yeah pepermint shrimp, they should do the trick quite nicely. At least they did in my tank. The bigger the better.

I am not an expert by any means but would be hesitant to introduce something like this into my tank. From what I gather, there is no information on what this miracle cure really is.

I have heard several members sing the praises of Joe's Juice. It's a small liquid that comes with an injector. Squirt it into the aptaisia's hole and fom what i've heard there's no more aptaisia to worry about.

I think Joe's jusice is really jsut a type of lime or lemmon juice. In small amounts this is not harmful to the aquarium but a direct injection itno the aptasia will kill it. You have to wait until they are large enought to inject however.

Some shrimp are supposed to be eaters of aptasia so look for more information and do a combo attack

Good luck.

Joe's Juice works great. I have used it on large and small Aiptasia. I recommend it. www.joesjuice.com you can order it right from their site. I used it just the other day to remove two Aiptasis from a new piece of coral I added to my tank. It is a white liquid that comes with an applicator. Just put a few drops and it does the job in minutes.

Those aren't aiptasia. Get a clearer focused pic posted for a possitive ID. They look like either polyped stick hydroids or mini dusters.

Cheers
Steve

I agree - THe picture is not really all that good. SO it becomes difficult to actually ID exactly what you are talkign about. Get az closer picture of one of them.

steve-s said:
Those aren't aiptasia. Get a clearer focused pic posted for a possitive ID. They look like either polyped stick hydroids or mini dusters.

Cheers
Steve

Thx m8

Attachments

• pict0017_200.jpg
    pict0017_200.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 34
  • pict0021_623.jpg
    pict0021_623.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 40
those look like little feather dusters to me, but they may be a hydroid species. Definetely NOT aiptasia.

Now back to bj5z25, since it was originally his post. If you go with peppermint shrimp, you want to make sure they are Lysmata Wurdemanni.

Another effective method is Berghia nudibranchs, they feed ONLY on aiptasia but die when all the aiptasia is gone.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2421

Removing Aiptaisia

I have heard that a copperband butterfly or peppermint shrimp will do the trick, but I had an aiptaisia in my tank. What I used for it was Joe's Juice. I had been told by numerous people that it works like magic. When I used it, I saw the aiptaisia pull itself into it's hole in the rock and I had not seen it since. That was about a month ago. I recommend it based on my experience.

Back
Top Bottom