Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aptasia - What are the negative affects?

Ive seen posts on this over and over but did not have a clue what it looked like till 5 min ago when i saw a picture of one of these on another post. Seeing the picture I realized "Hey I got some of those!" but they really have no affects on the system and its only 1 or 2. They have not multiplied and actually they look pretty neat. So my question is what is the negative affects of having these little creatures in the tank. Why do you have to get rid of them!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Verbalkint Send a message via Yahoo to Verbalkint
Well, I started with 2, and I now have 5. Thankfully, this weekend, I upgraded from a 29 Gallon tank to a 55 Gallon tank. Doing this allowed me to move the one rock (About fist sized) to a solitary part of the tank, so that it's no where near my other liverock / soft corals.

As far as Effects they have on the tank, I think they just grow out of control, but also have the ability to sting other corals. I want to juice em, but my wife thinks they are pretty.. ;-/

What's a guy to do.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they'll reproduce really fast and and take a foot hold at the base, or on the skeleton of coral.

Something about they can reproduce 100s of times a day. i had one..... i took a wire brush and bored a hole through the live rock where it was. No more problems.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
but my wife thinks they are pretty
They are kind cool looking, but a pest none the less. They have a pretty strong sting and corals do not like them. Just tell your wife you want a peppermint shrimp, they'll do your dirty work for ya. You both win, no more Aptasia and you now have a cute shrimp.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Verbalkint Send a message via Yahoo to Verbalkint
I'm SURE My GSP would LOVE that tasty shrimp.. ;-/

Alas, we lost the eel.. ;-(

Not sure what happened.

SG: 1.023
Tp: 79.5*
Amm: 0
Trates: 10ppm
Trites: 0

He just quit eating one day.. about 3 weeks later, i came home from work, and he was floating. ;-(

I had seen him moving around the previous night, so he didn't sit in the water dead too long.

*shrug*.. ;-(

Tags
aptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com