Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Aqadvisor - saltwater valid?

So I used aqadvisor for my freshwater to help stock it. I know that they have a saltwater side.

The thing I like is that they take it to account bioload stocking capacity and weekly water changes. Is it accurate though?

For example in my 20g long with 10g sump/refugium:

I will have

Firefish Goby
Royal Gramma Basslet
2 Occ Clowns
I wanted a sideline wrasse as well but was told that was too much. When input into aqadvisor I got 94% stocked with 17% weekly water changes.

I realize that these type tools cannot be completely correct with all the variable but was just curious peoples thoughts since I only see people talking about the freshwater side (with filter bioload capacity) and not saltwater

KantGetRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Following....I would like to know as well

"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Does it take into account what filtration you have, if you have any dead spots where detritus or food can sit, how often, how much and what you feed, how large your fish are and how much they eat? I've never heard of that app/program, but I think sometimes common sense and experience trumps a computer. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I would take some of the member's advice here over a program any day.

IMO, you will know when you are overstocked when your filtration can not keep up with bioload and nitrates rise quickly. I also feel there is fish compatibility to take into account.
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
That stock is fine. I have close to that in my 20 (blenny instead of firefish) and do 25% weekly wc.
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah, it doesn't take enough into account for me to trust it. It just leaves out so many factors that affect your stocking a ton. Juat come to AA and ask, we have better advice then a computer, because last time I checked, computers don't run aquariums. (Well they do, but like, they don't do everything with the tank, at least not unless your like a billionaire.)
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh I would still ask here. I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on here. I understand aggression factors, size of fish, personalities of fish...and I agree that it doesn't take enough into account but bioload is one of the harder things to get a grasp on because same sized fish can have very different bio loads.

KantGetRite is offline   Reply With Quote

aqadvisor, ate, salt, saltwater, val, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com