Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-16-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Aqua C Remora Pro questions from Newbie

Based on advice from this forum I just bought the Aqua C Remora Pro with skimmer box and Mag 3 pump to replace a Prizm on my new 55 gallon (live rock only so far). I plan to set up the skimmer this weekend but am confused and seek your help.

It appears that there is no connection of the box to the tank at all or to the skimmer except for the outlet of the pump to the inlet tube of the skimmer. Is that right? If it is, is that secure?

It looks like the box fits snugly around the pump, and so, the prefilter sponge doesn't fit (the pump inlet is like 1/4 inch from the wall)? Is that right, and the prefilter isn't used? If so, is that a risk to fish of being sucked in?

I also bought the drain fitting but am now sorry. Do I have to connect some type of hosing to some type of receptacle (like a milk jug) to collect the skim? If so, whenever cleaning, I have to disconnect it? That doesn't seem good to me. I thought there would be an open-close on the drain fitting that would just let me empty it when I want to. Is there a way to close off the drain fitting?

Thanks for helping.

Gesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Yes, you cannot use the pre-filter attachment on the mag 3 ( we use a Maxijet, and there is no way the pre-filter would fit in the pre-filter box) anyway, you are also right about the way the box is attached to the skimmer, there are two screws sticking out of the pre-filter box which you are supposed to tighten to attach to the pump... what I did which I thought was rather ingenious (AHEM) was I used the suction attachment that came with my maxijet. Now my pre-filter has suctions on the back and is not attached to the glass with the suctions. This makes it easier to lower or raise the pre-filter box when the water level gets lower due to evaporation or during top-offs, respectively... I love my aquaC, good luck with yours.

65 Gal Marine
60lbs of LS and 100lbs of LR
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks a lot. Does anyone know the answer about the drain fitting? Also, do you need to turn off the pump during water changes? This is really a good place to get help. I appreciate it.
Gesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont have a remora but if your water level drops below where the remora is sucking water, then yes cut it off. Sucking air is no good to pumps!
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Yes, you need to attach the drain fitting to a container of some sort. I use a 2 liter Dr Pepper bottle. The drain fitting will keep the collection cup from overflowing. Having a valve on it isn't necessary. The collection cup should be removed and thoroughly cleaned at least once a week.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com