Aqua C Remora Pro questions from Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Based on advice from this forum I just bought the Aqua C Remora Pro with skimmer box and Mag 3 pump to replace a Prizm on my new 55 gallon (live rock only so far). I plan to set up the skimmer this weekend but am confused and seek your help.

It appears that there is no connection of the box to the tank at all or to the skimmer except for the outlet of the pump to the inlet tube of the skimmer. Is that right? If it is, is that secure?

It looks like the box fits snugly around the pump, and so, the prefilter sponge doesn't fit (the pump inlet is like 1/4 inch from the wall)? Is that right, and the prefilter isn't used? If so, is that a risk to fish of being sucked in?

I also bought the drain fitting but am now sorry. Do I have to connect some type of hosing to some type of receptacle (like a milk jug) to collect the skim? If so, whenever cleaning, I have to disconnect it? That doesn't seem good to me. I thought there would be an open-close on the drain fitting that would just let me empty it when I want to. Is there a way to close off the drain fitting?

Thanks for helping.

Yes, you cannot use the pre-filter attachment on the mag 3 ( we use a Maxijet, and there is no way the pre-filter would fit in the pre-filter box) anyway, you are also right about the way the box is attached to the skimmer, there are two screws sticking out of the pre-filter box which you are supposed to tighten to attach to the pump... what I did which I thought was rather ingenious (AHEM) was I used the suction attachment that came with my maxijet. Now my pre-filter has suctions on the back and is not attached to the glass with the suctions. This makes it easier to lower or raise the pre-filter box when the water level gets lower due to evaporation or during top-offs, respectively... I love my aquaC, good luck with yours.

Thanks a lot. Does anyone know the answer about the drain fitting? Also, do you need to turn off the pump during water changes? This is really a good place to get help. I appreciate it.

I dont have a remora but if your water level drops below where the remora is sucking water, then yes cut it off. Sucking air is no good to pumps! :turn-l:

Yes, you need to attach the drain fitting to a container of some sort. I use a 2 liter Dr Pepper bottle. The drain fitting will keep the collection cup from overflowing. Having a valve on it isn't necessary. The collection cup should be removed and thoroughly cleaned at least once a week.

Back
Top Bottom