Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're making me happy that I bought a factory second CPR bak-pak 2R. Only $104 plus shipping, and had less 'cosmetic defects' than your Remora.

Old 12-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You're making me happy that I bought a factory second CPR bak-pak 2R. Only $104 plus shipping, and had less 'cosmetic defects' than your Remora.
No doubt some companies would appear to have higher standards on what is acceptable and what is not

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got my Aqua C Remora 2 weeks ago from MarineDepot.com
I don't see any of the flaws you are referring to.
I have mine set up in the tank, but I am not using it yet because we just filled the tank with salt water yesterday.
But I wanted you to see what my collection cup looks like.
I think you should call them and get a replacement.

DJ
Old 12-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #14

If you call them i garuntee they will send you a new cup. They are the best manufacturer for service in the industry!
Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I set my skimmer up on christmas and it started to foam into the collecting cup last night. I haven't collected much but I'm not expecting a whole lot because it is only running on a 20 gallon tank. I've also seen a considerable drop in microbubbles.

How effective is skimming at preventing nitrate formation. Will all waste be removed before getting a chance to enter the nitrogen cycle or will nitrates still slowly climb?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm, depends on the type of bio-filtration you use. I use the Remora on a 45g with LR and my nitrates are consistantly 0-5. If you are using wet/dry or biowheel, your nitrates may go a bit higher I would guess. If the tank is already cycled, I would use it and not worry about disrupting the nitrogen cycle. You could also consider putting the skimmer on a timer if you think it's overkill for that 20g tank.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

i can tell you that upgrading from a Prizm to a CPR got rid of my cyano problems, and phosphates never test over 0.0ppm for me. The remora would've done the same thing, but since it was my second skimmer on a tank less than 6 months old, I decided to save a little $ while still going with a decent skimmer.

Yours is probably the first 'less than perfect' review I've seen, but I bet you'll soon be very pleased with it. Give them a call and let them fix you up.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You guys are talking about the HOB aquac remora? I want to get one with the mag-drive 3! I just recently bought a small CPR Aquafuge, got some tonga branch LR in there and some chaeto macro algae, which will help with my nutrients! I just bought that little light that is made for the aquafuge from marinedepot, and it should arrive any day now. I was thinknig about gettin the CPR overflow box and have a sump with a nice euroreef 5-3 in sump skimmer, but its too darn much! Btw, I got a pink short tentacled plate!!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:45 AM   #19

If you want the MAG 3 you need the Remora pro.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:19 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: From the Chicago Burbs, stationed in Okinawa, Japan
I actually just recieved mine about 2 weeks ago from Marine Depot after waiting over a month. It got lost within the USPS. Anyways, I recieved mine with none of the flaws you mentioned. I got wet foam on the first day. I raised the cup up a bit everyday. The 5th day is when it started pulling gunk, and all the microbubbles went away.
You should ask Marine Depot for a replacement. They have the best customer service IMO. After exactly 4 weeks, I called and told them I haven't received the skimmer. The next day they said that they were going to send a replacement. Lucky I called them before they sent it, because the same day it arrived.
Another situation, was when I order a PC fixture from them. One of the bulbs in the fixture was shattered. It wasn't there fault, it was how the manufacturer packaged it. I knew because the box was factory sealed. The manufactures box was shipped in a box full of foam, by Marine Depot. Anyways, I called Marine Depot and told them one of the bulbs were shattered, and I got a replacement within a week.

Tags
aquac, remora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com