Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
what made you decide to upgarde from your old skimmer, and what kind of skimmer was that one?
Well, I upgrade because the Remora has a bit smaller profile and should look a bit better. Also, in theory, the Remora should be impossible to overflow. And, I just HAD to try one When I am torn between two choices, I always end up trying both of them for myself.

The "old' skimmer is an Advanced Aquaria Excalibur HV1. For the money, I think the Excalibur is a better deal. This may change if the Remora start pulling out more skimmated than the Excalibur.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Remora is an awesome skimmer in my opinion. Of course anything is better than that Prizm I purchased!

My Remora has not been producing much skimmate durning the past 2 weeks, but my tank is fully cycled, and has no live fish yet, just the hitch-hikers from the rock. So I suspect the water is pretty darn clean right now.

But when I was cycling my tank, after I added the rock, the skimmer was kicking out tons of skimmate.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO anything is better than a prizm! Even my seaclone! I am unsatisfied with the prizm, because when I bought one, it had leaks all over it, the pump was a poc and it did not make any bubbles!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And check this out, these guys say they are better than an aqua c remora!!!http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/pro.../TPhangons.htm
Old 12-30-2004, 12:00 AM   #35

It is all a matter of opinion really but the aqua c does do a great job for such a small skimmer. Plus it requires almost no maintenence except for cleaning the cup weekly and the pump once a month. It is also very quiet when broken in. I have ran the Bak Pak, Prizm and remora w/mj1200 on my 26 bowfront and will say the remora beat the other two hands down. This is a totally unbiased opinion since i sell both the bak pak and the remora. The prizms i have since removed from my product offering.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
And check this out, these guys say they are better than an aqua c remora!!!http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/pro.../TPhangons.htm
Now that's funny. They think the Prizm is better than the Remora!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:19 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

about.com is a pretty terrible place for information on a lot of things. too bad really, since it is a very common place people go for information.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:57 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Received my Remora Pro today with the Mag3 and I was shocked to see the same bad construction as grimlock3000 did...

[center:bc0fb53c0c][/img][/center:bc0fb53c0c]

Worse the corner of the skimmate receptacle was cracked...

[center:bc0fb53c0c][img][/img][/center:bc0fb53c0c]

I am bummed because I was hoping to get everything going this holiday weekend, but now will have to wait!!

(if the photos dont show I am still a newbie who is trying to figure out how to do it)

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

30 gal Refugium/RemoraPro & Mag 3/ 5# miracle Mud/ 10# LS. Light pending
sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:39 PM   #39

bubbles are just the way the epoxy loooks when it cures and will not affect performance in any way. Cracked cups this time of year in shipping are normal. Plastic does not like the cold and can become quite brittle. And UPS is pretty hard on packages as well. I sent you an E-mail about the cup.

Sipe for now just glue the cup and use it like it is it will work fine and performance will not be affected.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:55 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
man doesn't sound like the skimmer I got...
mine was perfect...
MAxijet Ph and all...
Took a few days to get something in the cup then i had to raise the cup because it was skimming too well...

Tags
aquac, remora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com