AquaC Remora Impressions =/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
My saltwater tank got its Remora + MJ1200 today for a holiday gift. I already have some skimmer on the tank, the Remora is to replace that one and allow me some additional space on the tank along with being overflow proof and it should look better since the tank is in a baby room.

Current skimmer doing its business:

rem0.jpg

So, I get the Remora box opened up, it looks very nice, well packaged with no BS:

rem1.jpg

I opened up the celophane, and was not very happy. Almost the whole skimmer was covered in fingerprints. I know I did not put them there, since I just peeled off the celophane. Hard to see in this pic, but my skimmer looks like some kids played with it:

rem2.jpg

I checked out the rest of the skimmer, and it was not really what I was expecting. Here is the top of the collection cup, the joints at all bubbly where the acrylic was sealed. The whole top edge is bubbly too, like they ran sealant around the top edge:

rem3.jpg

More bubbles around the intake pipe:

rem4.jpg

And here is some teflon sealing tape, just hanging around for no reason, other than lack of attention to detail:

rem5.jpg

There are a couple of edges that look poorly cut on my skimmer too. If I put this together myself, I would be dissapointed in how it came out. Maybe I got a bad one? Being that the Remoras are priced at a premium, I do not see where the extra cost comes from. I am sure this is going to work fine based on everyone's comments, but I am really surprised I have not heard people comment on the quality earlier. The Excalibur skimmer I am currently using was MUCH cheaper and is way better constructed. There are no bad edges on the Excalibur, no bubbly joints, and it was certainly not covered in fingerprints once I took it out of the box.

For $164, I was really expecting a high quality unit that skimmed well. I think all I got was something I could have built myself if I had a diagram and the spray injector. Lets face it, these Remoras are acrylic boxes and powerheads, when you are paying close to $200 for one, it would be nice if the out of box experience was better than this :(

I will post more impressions once I get this washed up and working on the tank.

Thanks for the info! You may want to test their customer service. Call, explain what's up and as revhtree said, maybe it was a return that someone opened and sent back.

I know if I payed that much I'd want to see the quality you were expecting.

Jim

just as a comparison. The only thing comparable to yours was bubbles around the intake. My collection cup is fine.

If the collection cup is unbearably unattractive I'd see if you can get it replaced. Otherwise I don't think our skimmers are much different.

If the collection cup is unbearably unattractive I'd see if you can get it replaced.

It is not unbearable, just disappointing given the cost. I will get over it once this starts pulling skimmate.

I got the Remora running about an hour ago. Putting some microbubble back into the tank, but not as bad as I expected.

Been six hours, the Remora has zero foam forming in it, and the foam production in my other skimmer has dropped to zero as well. I rinsed out the Remora for 10 minutes in hot water before putting it on the tank, guess there was still some residue somewhere in the Remora. :roll:

Been six hours, the Remora has zero foam forming in it
Took mine 4 days to produce foam. :D

Have you decided if you're going to keep the one you got, or send it back for a replacment?

Took mine 4 days to produce foam.

When I work up this morning, still zero foam production in either skimmer :( I really think they need to wash these out better at the factory before selling them. The other skimmer I had was producing foam about four hours I installed it, and I has skimmate the next day.

I am going to keep the Remora I have and email Aqua C about the collection cup.

You're making me happy that I bought a factory second CPR bak-pak 2R. Only $104 plus shipping, and had less 'cosmetic defects' than your Remora.

You're making me happy that I bought a factory second CPR bak-pak 2R. Only $104 plus shipping, and had less 'cosmetic defects' than your Remora.

No doubt some companies would appear to have higher standards on what is acceptable and what is not :wink:

I got my Aqua C Remora 2 weeks ago from MarineDepot.com
I don't see any of the flaws you are referring to.
I have mine set up in the tank, but I am not using it yet because we just filled the tank with salt water yesterday.
But I wanted you to see what my collection cup looks like.
I think you should call them and get a replacement.

DJ

If you call them i garuntee they will send you a new cup. They are the best manufacturer for service in the industry!

I set my skimmer up on christmas and it started to foam into the collecting cup last night. I haven't collected much but I'm not expecting a whole lot because it is only running on a 20 gallon tank. I've also seen a considerable drop in microbubbles.

How effective is skimming at preventing nitrate formation. Will all waste be removed before getting a chance to enter the nitrogen cycle or will nitrates still slowly climb?

Hmm, depends on the type of bio-filtration you use. I use the Remora on a 45g with LR and my nitrates are consistantly 0-5. If you are using wet/dry or biowheel, your nitrates may go a bit higher I would guess. If the tank is already cycled, I would use it and not worry about disrupting the nitrogen cycle. You could also consider putting the skimmer on a timer if you think it's overkill for that 20g tank.

i can tell you that upgrading from a Prizm to a CPR got rid of my cyano problems, and phosphates never test over 0.0ppm for me. The remora would've done the same thing, but since it was my second skimmer on a tank less than 6 months old, I decided to save a little $ while still going with a decent skimmer.

Yours is probably the first 'less than perfect' review I've seen, but I bet you'll soon be very pleased with it. Give them a call and let them fix you up.

You guys are talking about the HOB aquac remora? I want to get one with the mag-drive 3! I just recently bought a small CPR Aquafuge, got some tonga branch LR in there and some chaeto macro algae, which will help with my nutrients! :D I just bought that little light that is made for the aquafuge from marinedepot, and it should arrive any day now. I was thinknig about gettin the CPR overflow box and have a sump with a nice euroreef 5-3 in sump skimmer, but its too darn much! Btw, I got a pink short tentacled plate!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I actually just recieved mine about 2 weeks ago from Marine Depot after waiting over a month. It got lost within the USPS. Anyways, I recieved mine with none of the flaws you mentioned. I got wet foam on the first day. I raised the cup up a bit everyday. The 5th day is when it started pulling gunk, and all the microbubbles went away.
You should ask Marine Depot for a replacement. They have the best customer service IMO. After exactly 4 weeks, I called and told them I haven't received the skimmer. The next day they said that they were going to send a replacement. Lucky I called them before they sent it, because the same day it arrived.
Another situation, was when I order a PC fixture from them. One of the bulbs in the fixture was shattered. It wasn't there fault, it was how the manufacturer packaged it. I knew because the box was factory sealed. The manufactures box was shipped in a box full of foam, by Marine Depot. Anyways, I called Marine Depot and told them one of the bulbs were shattered, and I got a replacement within a week.

Back
Top Bottom