Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

AquaC Remora Impressions =/

My saltwater tank got its Remora + MJ1200 today for a holiday gift. I already have some skimmer on the tank, the Remora is to replace that one and allow me some additional space on the tank along with being overflow proof and it should look better since the tank is in a baby room.

Current skimmer doing its business:

So, I get the Remora box opened up, it looks very nice, well packaged with no BS:

I opened up the celophane, and was not very happy. Almost the whole skimmer was covered in fingerprints. I know I did not put them there, since I just peeled off the celophane. Hard to see in this pic, but my skimmer looks like some kids played with it:

I checked out the rest of the skimmer, and it was not really what I was expecting. Here is the top of the collection cup, the joints at all bubbly where the acrylic was sealed. The whole top edge is bubbly too, like they ran sealant around the top edge:

More bubbles around the intake pipe:

And here is some teflon sealing tape, just hanging around for no reason, other than lack of attention to detail:

There are a couple of edges that look poorly cut on my skimmer too. If I put this together myself, I would be dissapointed in how it came out. Maybe I got a bad one? Being that the Remoras are priced at a premium, I do not see where the extra cost comes from. I am sure this is going to work fine based on everyone's comments, but I am really surprised I have not heard people comment on the quality earlier. The Excalibur skimmer I am currently using was MUCH cheaper and is way better constructed. There are no bad edges on the Excalibur, no bubbly joints, and it was certainly not covered in fingerprints once I took it out of the box.

For $164, I was really expecting a high quality unit that skimmed well. I think all I got was something I could have built myself if I had a diagram and the spray injector. Lets face it, these Remoras are acrylic boxes and powerheads, when you are paying close to $200 for one, it would be nice if the out of box experience was better than this

I will post more impressions once I get this washed up and working on the tank.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 12:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow sorry. Is it possible you recieved a previously owned remora?? :|

Old 12-26-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info! You may want to test their customer service. Call, explain what's up and as revhtree said, maybe it was a return that someone opened and sent back.

I know if I payed that much I'd want to see the quality you were expecting.

Jim
Old 12-26-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

just as a comparison. The only thing comparable to yours was bubbles around the intake. My collection cup is fine.

If the collection cup is unbearably unattractive I'd see if you can get it replaced. Otherwise I don't think our skimmers are much different.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If the collection cup is unbearably unattractive I'd see if you can get it replaced.
It is not unbearable, just disappointing given the cost. I will get over it once this starts pulling skimmate.

I got the Remora running about an hour ago. Putting some microbubble back into the tank, but not as bad as I expected.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 12-27-2004, 12:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Been six hours, the Remora has zero foam forming in it, and the foam production in my other skimmer has dropped to zero as well. I rinsed out the Remora for 10 minutes in hot water before putting it on the tank, guess there was still some residue somewhere in the Remora.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-27-2004, 01:05 AM   #7

where did you purchase it from?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

www.marinedepot.com

I ordered the skimmer along with some stuff my father wanted for holiday gifts. Otherwise, I would have gone to www.captivereefs.com

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Been six hours, the Remora has zero foam forming in it
Took mine 4 days to produce foam.

Have you decided if you're going to keep the one you got, or send it back for a replacment?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Took mine 4 days to produce foam.
When I work up this morning, still zero foam production in either skimmer I really think they need to wash these out better at the factory before selling them. The other skimmer I had was producing foam about four hours I installed it, and I has skimmate the next day.

I am going to keep the Remora I have and email Aqua C about the collection cup.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock

Tags
aquac, remora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com