Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aquaclear 300 fuge on a 33 gallon?? Worthwhile?

Hi, Im wondering if you people could comment on if a aquaclear 300 would be useful to add as a fuge on the back of a 33 gallon?

I mainly want it for pod production as I have a scooter blenny that has seemed to clean out all the pods and most of my speghetti worms in the two weeks since I got him. They used to be visible EVERYWHERE but none now since I think he eats them all.

I will put some sand, live rock and macro in there to help pod production. Do I need light on it if I just want it for pods? (without the macro neccessarily).

What do you think?

BTW: That's a pic of the little guy.

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have one of them on my 90g tank and it work great as a pod farm. I have lighting on mine but it's not neccessary if you put the clear plexi in the top so that your regular lights can light it part of the day.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK thanks electrikat. I think I will have to set mine up then for it... Did you add plexiglass baffle to protect the chamber and minimize the turbulent flow or how did you alter it for using it as a fuge??

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
Old 03-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found several threads for modding it at www.nano-reef.com. I used the media basket for the baffles. I used a side for the side next to the incoming water, and the bottom of the basket in the outflow to keep the algae from being swept into the tank. I installed them with plain silicone sealant. If you use a solid piece of plexi as a baffle you will have water everywhere. If you use the basket you can put a crab and a snail in the fuge with the lr rubble and sand and they will keep your fuge clean. I have about an inch and a half of sand, a few pieces of rubble and a handful of chaeto and the pods are a crawlin'. The outflow will also grow a mat of algae and the pods will live in it too. I believe this acts like an algae scrubber because all of the water that runs through it has to flow through the algae mat on its way out. I clear the algae every few months and just let the fish eat it and the pods in it.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks again. I forgot about www.nano-reef.com when the search was limited here on AA. Thanks for the tips, I will probably do the exact same thing with mine....

Cheers!

Tags
3 gallon, aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com