Aquaium, finalizing plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Langemc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week i went to the LFS and they gave me a price quote and you guys told me to keep you informe on what products the LFS recommended, well today i went back and got what i needed to know

I was wondering if you guys agree with what they say

My plan is a 75 gal FOWLR with a sump so here it goes

they recommended a 125 Coralife SuperSkimmer (you guys said bigger was better i was thinking 125 is big enough but is this a good brand) for 190 bucks is what they are charging

also they say Mag pump 700 gph i dont remember the price but is this a solid purchase for my aquarium

also what kind of lights are needed, nothing super expensive correct since it is only fo? The lights they recommended were 50$ does i just forgot to ask about the brand though =(

TIA

I would recommend getting your tank/stand locally and buying everything else over the internet. You can say a ton of money. Skimmer and mag 7 are fine. Sounds like they quoted you NO lighting which is fine for a FOWLR tank. Bumping up to CF in the future may aid in LR coraline growth. What are you going to use for a sump?

the lfs is selling me a sump, i dont think i could figure a DIY sump out yet, the sump uses bio balls for filtration, i've heard lr works better but i'll probably wait to put lr in the sump, until i can figure everything out

i'll have to be sure to check the internet for better prices, thanks for the advice

The main advice I can give is don't skimp on anything if possible. The things I have bought to "save money" have ended up costing twice as much because I upgrade later.

Also even though you're planning on a FOWLR try to not limit yourself on any equipment. That's what I did to start out and now I'm moving toward a few corals. It seems alot of people do just that.

I started with NO lights. Now I've got a Coralife CF retro. I love the way the tank looks and would have saved some money if I had bought this first. If possible I would go with a CF kit just in case you decide on a few corals later.

HTH :D
Stephen

Back
Top Bottom