Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Okay, here it is thus far:



The power head didn't want to work, so I used an old filter. I took the media out and through in some old rocks that I'll never use again. It's working pretty well as a last resort power head!

When I went to the store I found corals that I love! Haha, which were like all of them. I took some pictures:



Soon my babies, soon!
__________________

__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Finally back from my vacation. They still had the sale going on!! I picked up 3lbs more. I'm now up to 8, I plan on getting 5 lbs of base rock, does that seem to be enough? Still need to get some sand though...


__________________

__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
My tank is nearly there with cycling! I've been eyeing the corals at the store with lust, but I shall stay away until I get some nice lighting (what is the min that would allow me some mushrooms...? ) My question for you all is the best fish to put in first? Inverts? Gobies? I'm not that sure... Everyone puts different fish in first, but what do you all suggest?
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
My tank is nearly there with cycling! I've been eyeing the corals at the store with lust, but I shall stay away until I get some nice lighting (what is the min that would allow me some mushrooms...? ) My question for you all is the best fish to put in first? Inverts? Gobies? I'm not that sure... Everyone puts different fish in first, but what do you all suggest?
I've heard about a lot of people adding a clean up crew first. That's what I always do. Mushrooms are very low light so it wouldn't take much. slow and steady wins the race!
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
My tank is nearly there with cycling! I've been eyeing the corals at the store with lust, but I shall stay away until I get some nice lighting (what is the min that would allow me some mushrooms...? ) My question for you all is the best fish to put in first? Inverts? Gobies? I'm not that sure... Everyone puts different fish in first, but what do you all suggest?
How did I miss this thread?? Congrats on your first saltwater tank!!

I've never had a clean up crew first actually, I've always just went with a hardy fish first, then when I got a little algae, and my nitrates were low I would add a clean up crew. If you have no algae, they might starve.

Since I assume you don't have a qt tank, be REALLY careful with fish. Make sure they're extremely healthy and I would do a freshwater, or paraguard bath before adding them. If you get ich in a saltwater tank, it's a mess.
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay33 View Post

I've heard about a lot of people adding a clean up crew first. That's what I always do. Mushrooms are very low light so it wouldn't take much. slow and steady wins the race!
That's awesome! Like how little light? I mean I have 6500k bulbs... Yeah freshie here. There was this AMAZING mushroom frag (like two actual mushrooms) for $6 at the LFS yesterday... I'm trying my best to go slow. I mean I've been cycling for the past 3-4 weeks, so hopefully it'll be done (sooo close) by Tuesday (my grandma will be here then and I'd love to show her something)


Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post

How did I miss this thread?? Congrats on your first saltwater tank!!

I've never had a clean up crew first actually, I've always just went with a hardy fish first, then when I got a little algae, and my nitrates were low I would add a clean up crew. If you have no algae, they might starve.

Since I assume you don't have a qt tank, be REALLY careful with fish. Make sure they're extremely healthy and I would do a freshwater, or paraguard bath before adding them. If you get ich in a saltwater tank, it's a mess.
Thanks! It's really exciting. I told myself last year that I'd probably never have a tank because they are harder... But well the temptation was too strong and the LFS sale kind of set me over plus I had done a LOT of research during exam week/other time because I needed some destresser

Would you consider a goby to be hardy? What do you consider to be "hardy"? I really don't want to kill my first SW fish

I do have a QT "tank", it's more like a 15g tote. But I don't have to QT my first fish do I? Sorry, complete SW noob!


Thanks!!!!
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
That's awesome! Like how little light? I mean I have 6500k bulbs... Yeah freshie here. There was this AMAZING mushroom frag (like two actual mushrooms) for $6 at the LFS yesterday... I'm trying my best to go slow. I mean I've been cycling for the past 3-4 weeks, so hopefully it'll be done (sooo close) by Tuesday (my grandma will be here then and I'd love to show her something)

Thanks! It's really exciting. I told myself last year that I'd probably never have a tank because they are harder... But well the temptation was too strong and the LFS sale kind of set me over plus I had done a LOT of research during exam week/other time because I needed some destresser

Would you consider a goby to be hardy? What do you consider to be "hardy"? I really don't want to kill my first SW fish

I do have a QT "tank", it's more like a 15g tote. But I don't have to QT my first fish do I? Sorry, complete SW noob!

Thanks!!!!
My lfs had the same sale! 50% off is a good deal got a $100 fish for $50 bucks!

Do you know exactly what type of goby? I think you would be fine adding one first

I would qt, because you can still get ich in the tank, and there are only 2 ways to 100% kill ich. Copper and hyposalinity, and both require moving the fish to a hospital tank and let the main tank sit without fish for 8 weeks. NOT fun at all!!! And if you dose copper in the main tank, you destroy your chances at keeping inverts because the rock soaks up some copper and leaches it out over time. Inverts can't tolerate copper.
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
My lfs had the same sale! 50% off is a good deal got a $100 fish for $50 bucks!

Do you know exactly what type of goby?

I would qt, because you can still get ich in the tank, and there are only 2 ways to 100% kill ich. Copper and hyposalinity, and both require moving the fish to a hospital tank and let the main tank sit without fish for 8 weeks. NOT fun at all!!! And if you dose copper in the main tank, you destroy your chances at keeping inverts because the rock soaks up some copper and leaches it out over time. Inverts can't tolerate copper.
Hahaha, that's awesome! I just got 8lbs of LR for 40 instead of 80, and a bunch of plants as well!

I'm thinking either a black clown goby (depends on how soon they come in) or a yellow clown goby. I just love their little faces! I know that I'll probably be shot down on this, but would a clown fish be considered a hardy fish?... (prepares for scolding on how they won't fit)...

I'll be sure to QT them, but I have yet to get ich from the store as they apparently (according to them) QT all the fish before they put them out and I've seen them not sell things because they think that they may have ich. Thanks a ton George!
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Hahaha, that's awesome! I just got 8lbs of LR for 40 instead of 80, and a bunch of plants as well!

I'm thinking either a black clown goby (depends on how soon they come in) or a yellow clown goby. I just love their little faces! I know that I'll probably be shot down on this, but would a clown fish be considered a hardy fish?... (prepares for scolding on how they won't fit)...

I'll be sure to QT them, but I have yet to get ich from the store as they apparently (according to them) QT all the fish before they put them out and I've seen them not sell things because they think that they may have ich. Thanks a ton George!
Great deal!!

A clown is a very hardy fish! It was my first, they're cool little guys. I've seen people keep them in tanks as small as 3 gallons. You'll be fine with one in your tank.

That's great they QT them! But if you ever decide to not qt, do a freshwater dip at the very least and sometimes ich can be kept at bay with a good diet and raising the immune system. I think you'll be fine.
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
Great deal!!

A clown is a very hardy fish! It was my first, they're cool little guys. I've seen people keep them in tanks as small as 3 gallons. You'll be fine with one in your tank.

That's great they QT them! But if you ever decide to not qt, do a freshwater dip at the very least and sometimes ich can be kept at bay with a good diet and raising the immune system. I think you'll be fine.
Okay, that's awesome! My sister's been begging for a clown and a tang (I told her NO WAY to the tang. She's now determined to get a 180g SW tank...). She'll be excited to hear that. I'll make sure to have that as my first fish. My Nitrites are very low right now, so hopefully they'll be gone soon and then I'll dose again and hopefully see all zeros in the right places! I think that I may just fresh dip the first one and then QT all the rest of them
__________________

__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
first sw, journal, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.