Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
AquaKai's First SW Tank Journal

I have been with freshwater for all of my fish keeping time and have been very content... however at the LFS when I went there last there were some beautiful mushroom and polyps in the for sale tanks (2.99 per polyp-pretty darn good deal from what I've seen at my any of my LFS). I fell in love and knew that I was going to have to get a saltwater tank I got the okay from the parents to have a salt tank, but it has to be in a 10g. But I figure that's ok, I can work with this!

I've read many threads and articles, scoured the internet and library for any information about keeping a salt tank. I want to do this nice and slow, so I can do it right.

I'd like to start off with just FOWLR, but I'd love to get some corals in the future...cough...mushrooms...cough... but the current money supply doesn't have room for some nice LEDs-yet!

Here is what I have thus far:
10g aquarium
15g Filter (Will get bigger in the future to hold some LR-that's what I've read a lot of people doing, is this correct? Any information about this?)
1 Powerhead (the lowest priced one at WalMart-I'd like to switch this out for a nicer one at my LFS, but it'll have to work for now)

To Get Tomorrow:
Salt
Sand
Refractometer (or hydrometer if that is all that they have)

There is a big sale happening at my LFS for 50% off all live rock (as well as fish, plants, etc.) and I'd love to get 5-6 lbs since it'll now be $5/lb instead of $10! The only catch is that I am leaving for a week to Virginia Beach come Sunday morning and the sale won't be happening when I get back. Could I set up the tank with LR and leave it for the week? I could put a shrimp in there and let it go, but would that be alright? I will get more base rock as well to get it to 10-15lbs

Thanks in advance! I know I have a lot of questions and will continue to have a lot more, but I want to do this right!
__________________

__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 747
Congratulations on catching the saltwater bug! It's very exciting, and a bit overwhelming at first, but take things slow like you said and before you know it you'll have yourself a beautiful tank! I assume it is a hang on back filter? It will help with water flow and will be a good place to put some chemical filtration like carbon and purigen, but you will probably want to remove the media that came with it. You can absolutely put in the sand and live rock and leave it for a week. Do you have any type of lighting yet? If so, and the live rock has a lot of nice color on it, you may want to get a timer for the light also. Here is a picture of my tank if you would like to see what can be done with a similar setup. No fancy equipment or anything just a cheapish LED fixture, a couple powerheads, carbon, purigen, and live rock/sand. Sorry the quality is poo...

__________________

__________________
saltcreep1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossv View Post
Congratulations on catching the saltwater bug! It's very exciting, and a bit overwhelming at first, but take things slow like you said and before you know it you'll have yourself a beautiful tank! I assume it is a hang on back filter? It will help with water flow and will be a good place to put some chemical filtration like carbon and purigen, but you will probably want to remove the media that came with it. You can absolutely put in the sand and live rock and leave it for a week. Do you have any type of lighting yet? If so, and the live rock has a lot of nice color on it, you may want to get a timer for the light also. Here is a picture of my tank if you would like to see what can be done with a similar setup. No fancy equipment or anything just a cheapish LED fixture, a couple powerheads, carbon, purigen, and live rock/sand. Sorry the quality is poo...
Haha, thank you. It is a bit overwhelming but reading all of those articles and threads really helps and kind of gets rid of some of the yikes-ness! Yes it's a HOB. I used to have it on a FW tank.

That's great to hear! Plus it gives me one less week to look at an empty tank and long after a piece of the ocean. Currently it just has some CFLs on it in the hood, but they're 6500k so they're for FW.

Can I not have lights on the tank for the week? I highly doubt that the CFLs will do any good for the tank. Plus I don't think there are 10,000k CFLs for a quick and temporary fix

Also, beautiful tank! It looks amazing!
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
What kind of lighting do you have rossv? Any that you recommend? I'd like to start looking around now, but I don't plan on getting anything too fancy until later (about two or so months). Thanks!
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Any opinion on this lighting? Bluewhite Aquarium LED Light 2 Modes Sea Marine Reef Fish Coral Fish Tank LED CE | eBay I know, I said that I was going to wait, but hey the internet will still be around in a few months so why not start now?
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 747
I'm not really comfortable giving suggestions on LEDs except try to get the 3w ones and make sure they are the correct color temps. I'm sure you can find plenty of opinions on which are good to get. Opinions on the interenet usually aren't hard to come by haha. I use the Marineland reef capable lights and wouldn't suggest them.
__________________
saltcreep1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossv View Post
I'm not really comfortable giving suggestions on LEDs except try to get the 3w ones and make sure they are the correct color temps. I'm sure you can find plenty of opinions on which are good to get. Opinions on the interenet usually aren't hard to come by haha. I use the Marineland reef capable lights and wouldn't suggest them.
Haha, I understand you completely! Thank you though. I will be sure to do that
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Just put the filter in the tank and it's set up. I am off to go buy LR! So excited All the research had built up to this point (and further).
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 747
Awesome! Just dont let normal folk know how excited you are to be paying 6-7 bucks a lb for a bunch of rocks. They just dont understand.
__________________
saltcreep1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossv View Post
Awesome! Just dont let normal folk know how excited you are to be paying 6-7 bucks a lb for a bunch of rocks. They just dont understand.
Haha, my mom thinks I'm insane! But she says whatever, it's my money and I earn it. Plus I pay for part of the water bill. I got 5.6lbs of LR and 7.5lbs of salt for $35
__________________

__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
first sw, journal, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.