Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

AquaPod Plumbing Questions

AquaPod Plumbing Questions

As I still play around with the Flo in my AquaPod 24 and the whole temp issue, a few question have risen. I want to have everything ready to go before i order the live rock and sand.

First, I had originally bought a Maxi Jet 1200 to create more flow in the tank, but with my temps sitting at 80-81 with lights, heater, and Maxi Jet 1200 power head running was plannon on replacing the stock pump. I was reading that I should use the maxi jet in place of the stock. To do this though I need to buy new tubing and elbows, but am not sure what size. The stock pump tubing is to large. I did a few searches on this forum, but did not find anything. So if anyone could tell me what size I need, it will be greatly appreciated.

My Seconded question is that I was planning on buying a maxi-jet (600?) in which i would also house it in the left chamber with the other pump. I was then going to plumb it so the return goes to the right side and over the wall with a few elbows. Is this a good idea? Should i get a maxi jet with more GPH output?

My last question is do any of you know the wattage of the Maxi Jets? I tried finding the wattage with no luck. I ask because I was also considering just replacing the stock pump with a Rio 1100 plus which pumps out 382 GPH at 23 Watts. If I did this I would scrap the maxi jet 1200 because that would be way over 2 and go with a Maxi-jet 600 for the other side.

As always thanks for your help.

zmckenzie

Old 04-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure if you bought stuff yet or plumbed it , but with Maxijets I'd think flexible tubing is all you'd need. Every hard elbow, or Tees, ball valves and such cut down on water flow because of the resistance from those hard turns.

Is an Aquapod 24 a 24g tank? Is it going to be fish only or reef? That may help decide what kinda flow/how much flow you will want.

BTW, I like MJs better than Rios. Try to stick with them IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the reply. The aquapod 24 is said to be a 24 gallon, but the actally display part of the tank is 21 gallons. Orginally i was planning fish only but now i am planning on a nano reef but am limited by my ligting. As for just adding 1/2 tubing wouldn't work, because the aquapod has a return that is much bigger then 1/2 inch. I did however get it hooked up with the mj1200, but am planning on dirlling a new return under it. That way i can just use the tubing and so that the hydro flo doesn't spit watter up onto my light cover. I ended up getting a mj900 as well with hydro flo, but plan on putting it in the back left chamber with the mj1200 and drilling a hole through the center wall (divides the two chambers) and drill another hole on the right side like the left. Not sure on how to seal around the tubing yet, but i asked that in a different thread. Feel free through to let me know in this thread.

Zachary
Old 05-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_..._strainers.asp

Won't these work for your drill thru areas? Maybe a double slip bulkhead with 3" or so PVC glued to'm, then fitted from there with barbed end adapter. I definitely wouldn't bother with trying to seal around a tube that goes thru glass or plexiglass.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com