Aquapod Startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keysfishfinder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked up a used 12G Aquapod. Only question after reading the articles on fishless cycle, is Rocks or NoRocks during cycle? I did not see any mention of this.

I started last night and currently have replaced all the filter media (carbon, sponge, etc..) added new live sand, the magic shrimp and freshly made salt water (RO/DI). I am just not sure when to add the rocks.

Thanks for any advice,

Never give up don't ever give up.

Depending what kind of rocks are we talking about, uncured or cured? If you're getting cured rocks from LFS, it's hardly need a cycle. If you get an uncured one, you actually could cycle the aquapod with the rocks without the magic shrimp as the bacteria from the uncured rocks will be sufficient for the cycle.

It is taking a bit of a risk taking rocks from the ocean. The can bring in a host of bad bacteria and parasites with them. As well as pollution is always a possibility. If you do get rock from the ocean you want it to be very porous so that it has a lot of surface area. The bacteria you are culturing in the cycle grows on the surfaces of everything in the tank. So the rock (which you want in there during the cycle) provides space for it all to grow on.

Thanks, I have had good luck with local Ocean rocks in my large tank, but was not sure about how they would play in such a small tank. Also my other tanks were transfered (water, sand, rocks, everything) so I did not have to cycle them, this cycle piece is a first for me.

Another thing is there an AA (aquarium aholics) group, I went from no tanks 6 months ago to 3 now with this Aquapod. My wife thinks I might be developing a problem.

haha there probably should be an AA group around here but i think that might only make things worse. We would all just end up talking about fish so much it would just multiply the number of tanks. We currently have 7 tanks.

I had always heard that it was against the law to remove rock from the ocean here in the states. Just something I heard.

Back
Top Bottom