Aquarium Backgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJSobczyk

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have had my 75 gallon in place for well over a year now. From the back of the aquarium it is about 6 inches to the wall. I am wondering what is the best method of putting on an background? I am just looking at a blue or black background but is there a clear drying glue that can be used so it sticks?
Or is ghetto fabulous tape the answer?

Thanks

Steve

I've just lightly taped mine the the tank. Seems to work ok. I dont about the glue what if you ever wanted to change the backgound for some reason that might be harder to remove IMO.

Thanks! Ya i was thinking the same but i found tape to look rather rough. I was hoping to find something that could be sprayed to the back of the aquarium. Most likely it would not be removed, and if it had to, i would just go buy a new tank.

Steve

I use scotch tape and tape it around the corners. No one has ever seen it.
BUT . . . when my dad was in the hobby, years ago, he spray painted a blue background on his tank. If you can choose the right color it can look pretty good. He said it made his tank look "deep". :mrgreen:

I use electrical tape on mine. it works well, and if applied carfully, leaves a clean line black line on the side of your tank. but sometimes you may find that it will come off. (mine hasn't yet, but it has on my frog tank.)

I have heard of alot of people using vasoline to adheir their backdrops to their tanks apply a very thin layer to your tanks surface and press the backdrop on.

easy as pie.

-Matt

I have heard of alot of people using vasoline to adheir their backdrops to their tanks apply a very thin layer to your tanks surface and press the backdrop on

Sounds interesting i might just give that a shot.

Thanks all for your suggestions

Steve

the vasoline trick only works if your background was never rolled up. i tried it with my blue/black reversible background and it just curled off at the edges... because it had been on roll at the LFS.

so, i tucked the top of the background underneath the black plastic frame at the top of the tank, and used a small piece of clear tape at the bottom to hold the corners down.

~mike

How about rubber cement or hot glue? They are both almost clear and easily removed. I personally have that ever attractive ghetto tape (thank you very much, lol) on mine!

I have also though about the rubber cement of hot glue gun. But knowing my handyman capabilities everything else would stick to the tank but the background.

Well it looks as though i will just try ghetto tape!

Much appreciated

Steve

Mr. Sparkle is going to give me a siezeur.....oh wait...here I go! VGorhavob34=/uemr2-4jg boh34mlgs/v ]

hehe. good point about the curling.

For one of my tanks I had a piece of plexi cut to fit. I painted the plexi and used clear packing tape hold it one. The packing tape was invisible and the plexi could be removed an repainted if I wanted another color.

For my 90 gallon, I just painted the back - which produced very nice results.

JG

We have just scotch taped ours up in the past. Now we have a peice of wood painted black and just sat on the ledge of our tank. It seems to have worked the best.

Back
Top Bottom