Aquarium Coffee Table Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ehobbins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there i am new to the forum and i have a few questions.

I am thinking of getting a coffee table aquarium, however when going to my local aquarium store and asked for advise he looked at me as if i had swore. He didn’t approve clearly! :fish2:

Most coffee table tanks are larger then your standard tank so I am not sure what the issue is.

That said I do have a few questions:

1. For those that do have a coffee table fish tank, how do you keep it clean and looking presentable? I know you don’t always need to clean these if you use plants and the correct filtering equipment.

2. What would be best for a coffee table, salt or fresh water? I am leaning more towards salt water.

3. What are the chances of leaks? I have just had a carpet laid so I have a lot of left over carpet that I could place under the table.

4. Do most coffee tables prevent condensation?

5. Also could anyone recommend any good coffee tables in the UK? (or that ship to the UK)

I think my only concern really is cleaning it and if so how is this done? A coffee table would be very heavy and would get messy in the lounge! Wiring shouldn't be a big issue as the plug sicket in near my sofa and i could run the wires under the sofa.

Sorry for the dumb questions but I thought its best to check before getting one!

Where do plan on putting this? Fish don't like high traffic areas or loud noises. Also, the square tanks that you see these in, are in high demand in my small Texas town. They're extremely expensive here.

Hi there, I live in the uk and can afford the price so that is ok. I also live on the top floor and it's very quite area.
It will go in the middle of my very large lounge ?

If you put a tank larger than 55 gallons on any floor higher than ground level, you need to have someone like an engineer check your structure to make sure it can take the weight.

Keeping it clean shouldn't be a problem, since you should keep any tank clean enough to be presentable.

Leaking isn't as much of an issue as drips and spills for water changes.

sounds like a fun idea but take a few things into consideration ,
1) tank is in middle of floor , no outlets for filter
2) how do you hide filters and such
3) water changes tanks close to the floor are almost impossible to siphon so vac gravel/sand is not a option
4) fish don't like sudden movement a living room would be considered a high traffic area especially if you entertain a lot
5) do you really want to remove that heavy piece of glass on top to feed/clean ect
6) what do you do for lighting and wires

fun idea yes feasible not really , cost highly over priced
it would probably cost about as much as the tank to run a outlet into the center of the room to supply power to the pumps ect , is it really worth it not in my eyes , a lot of things to consider before you bite the bullet ,
Best-Fish-Tank-Coffee-Table.jpg

weight of the tank in the average home the floor should handle it if you have at least 2x10 floor joists 16/18 inches apart depending local building codes

I have almost 2000lbs tanks water ect on my living room floor , plus don't forget all the furniture , as long as everything is dispersed over the floor evenly you'll be fine,

if you live in a apt be sure to get written approval before you do something like this.
they may require you to obtain water damage ins in-case the tank bursts ,

a lot to think about
Save
Save

Last edited:
I was going to mention running power to the middle of the floor for an outlet. They would have to uproot your carpet that you just put in. Electricians aren't cheap. Never heard of a poor electrician ?

Hey thanks for your replies!

There is a lot to think about, however with how my flat is it makes more sence to have it as a coffee table. I have a big space in the middle of my lounge and where it would go is near a plug socket. If I was to have a standard tank I would have nowhere for it that would be near a socket. Plus wouldn't it be the same as a regular tank both in weight and if it bursts?

Clanking down coffee cups on the coffee table is going to need to be a no no.

You can pretty much do anything with the intense desire and commitment to a good plan.

This will take much of both to see it as a long term plan.

Years back I felt like this would be a great idea. After doing a lot of checking and research it seemed perhaps less of a good idea as I first thought.

Fish tanks can have an earthy smell, not all lounging persons might like it. But it is in the middle of everything.

Feeding could be a task. All points noted previously for tank size, special insurance, weigth distribution, and outlet issues. I need more than 2 plugs for a tank, especially a large tank.

Structural integrity is a little safer near a wall than in the middle of a room.

They are inconvenient to clean and making a selection of the fish will be important. You will need a fish which isn't too shy and likes to swim around and be social.

Cleaning is always necessary partial water changes of about 25% each week, more if heavier stocking options.

Back
Top Bottom