Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aquarium Decor.......

I was wondering if anyone uses artificial aquarium decor. I realized that I wouldn't be able to keep a reef tank so I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on using artificial/dead corals as decor. Alternatives? Ideas?

Some websites have very real (at least picture wise) looking decorations. Also, if you know of a good online store let me know.

TIA

Old 10-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
They look terrible. After a while they get brown algae on them and look lame.

If I were you, I would just do a fowlr setup if you can't have a reef.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just curious but why can't you have a reef?????
Old 10-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, it's just like Dragonforce said.....I tried to go that route at first, and it was constant cleaning of the artificial stuf...no fun. But if you really want some, PM me and I'll mailall my stuff to you real cheap, it's just sitting in my garage. This is where I bought it all..

http://www.aquariumbeauty.com/index.jsp

HTH
Old 10-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Buy LR instead. I am curious also, why can't you have a reef?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, the reason is multifactorial but mainly due to time constraints resulting from my career. A reef system would require much more work in my opinion compared to a FOWLR (more parameters to worry about) and would also be much less hardy than a FO tank. Plus this is my first saltwater tank and I want to have some experience before going crazy on the reef. Feel free to chime in and let me know if you disagree. I would love to have a reef tank.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I'll tell ya....reefs are way easier to keep than fish, at least in my experience. I've lost many fish in this hobby (early on, from not doing things properly) but have never lost a coral. Obviously, lighting is going to be the big issue depending on what you want, but you'll have to do water changes just as frequently in a FO than in a reef with the same number of fish. Fish are just messier than corals.

Saltwater in general is just a lot of work....no matter which way you go.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your logic makes sense. That was my original plan but in 5 months I was buying corals. Many people do fowlr tanks and love them. My only advise is to skip the fake decor and buy LR. If you decide you want corals at a latter date you will be ready. Be sure to plan your stocking list accordingly.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

So which one is easier?

I have LR in the tank now and love the way it looks. I just wanted to add some color to the tank and create some contrast. Like a nice bright branching coral for example.

Oh well, I figured I would get this response but thought it was worth a try.

So does everyone agree that a FOWLR and reef tank are the same amount of work and ease of maintainance? I was under the impression that reef tanks were much more intensive and time consuming.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know what you'll decide to do but I don't think it would hurt to just do a FOWLR for now and add some corals at a later date. If you wanted to go ahead and get some you could check out the link below. They have some coral packs for beginners. But as you can see I am also a beginner at this so check it out for yourself and see what you think. My only advice is to keep in mind while your choosing your fish that you may one day add coral and make sure they are reef compatible.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=751

Tags
deco, decor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com