Aquarium Reef Sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been looking for southdown or any other aragonite sand from the carribean but have not been able to find any. Other people have told me you should have no problem with silica based sands in an aquarium. If this is true I want something with a white color that is safe for all my fish/snails/etc and gobies that like to burrow in it.

Any suggestions.. I like the look of the caribisea stuff.

I have heard mixed reviews about using silica based sand in a sw tank. I don't have any experience with it, but I bought aragonite sand online as I could not find the southdown here in Arizona. It was more expensive, but I really like the look and it works well for any type of marine fish or inverts. I think I purchased it from premiumaquatics.com.

Mike

It's a bad time of year to look for the argonite sand at HD, lowes etc. It's a seasonal product which is most redily available in the spring and early summer with dwindling supplies in late summer.

The only "draw back" to silica sand is its hard edged grains will be less welcoming to the copepods and worms that typically live in a sand bed. You'll still have pods and worms, just not as many or as varied.

I don't know how gobies or other larger critters would be affected by it, I don't recall reading much either way.

Back
Top Bottom