Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquarium Reef Sand...

I have been looking for southdown or any other aragonite sand from the carribean but have not been able to find any. Other people have told me you should have no problem with silica based sands in an aquarium. If this is true I want something with a white color that is safe for all my fish/snails/etc and gobies that like to burrow in it.

Any suggestions.. I like the look of the caribisea stuff.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard mixed reviews about using silica based sand in a sw tank. I don't have any experience with it, but I bought aragonite sand online as I could not find the southdown here in Arizona. It was more expensive, but I really like the look and it works well for any type of marine fish or inverts. I think I purchased it from premiumaquatics.com.

Mike

Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It's a bad time of year to look for the argonite sand at HD, lowes etc. It's a seasonal product which is most redily available in the spring and early summer with dwindling supplies in late summer.

The only "draw back" to silica sand is its hard edged grains will be less welcoming to the copepods and worms that typically live in a sand bed. You'll still have pods and worms, just not as many or as varied.

I don't know how gobies or other larger critters would be affected by it, I don't recall reading much either way.

Tags
reef, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com