Aquarium sea water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reg100

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone.
I live in the uk. My question is this theres a aquarium just down the road from my that gets it water from the sea. The place has displays with native fish fron the uk the water is filtered for 2 weeks before its used would I be all right using this in my tank. Sea waters just sea water right ?. Or am I totally wrong.
Any advice would be great thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I imagine that they collect it miles off shore, water closer to the shore has higher pollutant levels and can cause major problems

So do you think it should be ok everything should be the same its only the temperature thats different. They do have a marine display so I take it they use the same water.

I wouldn't do it. Getting in a boat and going way out into the ocean just to get water seems way harder/more expensive than just making your own with ro/di and salt. Also who knows what else would be in the water.

I wasn't going to do that. I was going to buy it of the aquarium I can get a 5 gallon drum for 5 pounds. Just wanted to know if other people thought it would be ok to use . Didn't know if there would be enough minerals and elements in it for my corals.

Anyone think this is ok?

I buy natural sea water for my salt tank from my LFS and have never had a problem. I've never asked where they get it from but I've tested it and it all works for me.

How big is your tank? That does seem expensive for water which is why most people make their own, works out cheaper in the long run. I only buy mine because I live in a flat and don't really have the room for making water. My LFS also is marine only and do members prices for water so I only pay $2 for 25litres. If I had the space and a bigger tank I would definitely make my own though...

Ok thanks. I though about getting some because I upgrading to a larger tank and it was just for easyness. Thanks for all your help.

I also use sea water from time to time. Check the salinity levels tho as not all sea water is the same. Colder climate sea water is generally less dense than the tropical water out fish like. I have to boost mine a bit from about 1.023 to 1.025

Thanks ingy these are the kind of thing you can only get from forums great help.

Back
Top Bottom