Aquarium Size vs. Fish Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_tee0419

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I'm new at this, well, about to start really, and was wondering if fish growth was dependent or independent on the size of their aquarium. I'm afraid of the consequences of overstocking, but as a beginner am tempted to buy everything in the petshop! :wink: I know I need a bigger tank, and am not satisfied by the fish per gallon calculation here... even though I know its the best way. Help me think reasonable, what are the consequences of overstocking?

I think the biggest problem with overstocking is the buildup of pollutants in the tank. More fish = more detritus = high nitrite/nitrate levels = unhealthy/dead fish. In addition, if you overstock a tank you can cause normally peaceful fish to become aggresive towards their tank mates. I hate to say it, but if you want success, stick with the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. Otherwise you will end up losing your investment in livestock. Money down the drain, so to speak.

Overstocking a tank means your gonna be fighting a constant battle with water quatlity as jason said. More water changes will be needed. Some fish need space and putting them in a small tank will stress them to death.

Saltwater fish by their very nature are more agressive than most freshwater fish. This means they need more room. Saltwater also has less oxygen than freshwater.

Experenced hobbists can fudge on the rule of thumb of 1" per 5 gal but beginners should have a lightly stocked tank till they get hang of feeding and water changes and water quality.

Saltwater fish are used to living in an ocean and thats is how they have evolved. Water conditions in the ocean changes very little over the corse of the fish's lifespan so they are much more sensitive to water qualtiy changes.

Back
Top Bottom