Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to mr_tee0419
Aquarium Size vs. Fish Growth

Hey guys, I'm new at this, well, about to start really, and was wondering if fish growth was dependent or independent on the size of their aquarium. I'm afraid of the consequences of overstocking, but as a beginner am tempted to buy everything in the petshop! I know I need a bigger tank, and am not satisfied by the fish per gallon calculation here... even though I know its the best way. Help me think reasonable, what are the consequences of overstocking?

Old 07-31-2003, 06:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think the biggest problem with overstocking is the buildup of pollutants in the tank. More fish = more detritus = high nitrite/nitrate levels = unhealthy/dead fish. In addition, if you overstock a tank you can cause normally peaceful fish to become aggresive towards their tank mates. I hate to say it, but if you want success, stick with the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule. Otherwise you will end up losing your investment in livestock. Money down the drain, so to speak.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That's a lot of fish! Isn't it 1 inch per 5 gallons?
Old 07-31-2003, 06:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
And I think that "flushing your money down the toilet" is more appropriate in this case. :P

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Overstocking a tank means your gonna be fighting a constant battle with water quatlity as jason said. More water changes will be needed. Some fish need space and putting them in a small tank will stress them to death.

Saltwater fish by their very nature are more agressive than most freshwater fish. This means they need more room. Saltwater also has less oxygen than freshwater.

Experenced hobbists can fudge on the rule of thumb of 1" per 5 gal but beginners should have a lightly stocked tank till they get hang of feeding and water changes and water quality.

Saltwater fish are used to living in an ocean and thats is how they have evolved. Water conditions in the ocean changes very little over the corse of the fish's lifespan so they are much more sensitive to water qualtiy changes.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to mr_tee0419
Do you guys think a 30g aquarium is too small for a Singapore Angel alone?

Tags
growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com