aquascape for a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elchakas

Aquarium Advice Activist
So im about to place more base rock into my aquarium.. im working on building a reef thats why im adding more rock. My aquarium is against the wall and i like to make a "wall" aquascape.. my question is.. can i place the rock against the wall?.. if not how much space between the rock and the aquarium do i need?..

I have some of my rock leaning on the back glass with no ill effects. Just make sure it is pretty stable and won't shift. :)

On some of my tanks I leave the back glass accessible for cleaning but it's pretty much a loosing battle. lol

Yeah i wanted to put it against the wall but wasnt sure after reading about cleaning the back wall and water flow... so it wont greated and algae invasion?..

As long as there is still some flow youll be ok. In my 36 the back and sides are coated with algae. It is coraline so it isnt a concern. My massive giant green star snail does a good job cleaning it up.

As long as you have good water circulation you shouldn't have a problem. :) In my 125g the back wall is covered with coralline so it looks ok, and thats saying alot since I'm anal about keeping my tanks clean. lol

Thank you all for the info.. how about brown algae?.. would that b a bad problem?..

How old is the tank? Without a picture, I can't be 100% but I would assume it is diatoms and are common in new tanks. Will go away on their own. Increased circulation will aid in preventing them.

Its about 1yr and a half.. and yeah i think it might be that...

So this is what it came up to.. what do you guys think?.. just for the record this lighting is temperary..

ForumRunner_20120422_040616.jpg

ForumRunner_20120422_040558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom