aquascape help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I set up my tank a week ago and I need some advice on aquascaping this is what I have so far... any suggestions would be appreciated.
30lbs of LR
approx. 25lbs of sand
Also I did my third water test today these were my results
PH 8.0
Nitrate 5.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .25
should I add ammonia or anything else for that matter or do these levels seem normal for being only a week in? Alos should I be testing for anything else?
Thank you in advance, I'll tanke any advice/info I can get!

Attachments

• aquascape pic.jpg
    aquascape pic.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 615
I'm assuming you are dosing pure ammonia to cycle your tank? You should keep dosing ammonia to 4ppm so your bacteria still have something to eat until your nitrites are gone. Then dose to 4ppm again and see how long it takes to go away, you're shooting for 24 hours.

I'm not dosing with anything... I was told not to by my lfs, they said just put the live rock in and it would take care of itself. This is obviously my first saltwater tank so any pointers would be great

Oh, well go to your grocery store and get yourself an uncooked shrimp and toss it into your tank. That will fuel your cycle to the end without having to dose ammonia.

There are articles that will help you along in the article section that will help you out. :)

I'm a little wary of trying the shrimp method. I was told it could smell pretty bad and since this tank is in the lobby of my grooming shop I would like to keep it smelling as good as possible. :/

I personally didn't notice any smell when I cycled my 36 gallon with that method, but if you are worried about it you just have to get some pure ammonia to cycle your tank. I don't recall what to look for to make sure the ammonia will work, but if you shake it and it makes bubbles it is fine if i remember correctly.

I went to a buddies house today and he just removed the shrimp for a 10 gal tank after 3 weeks of it being in there. No smell at all.

You want pure ammonia shake the bottle if it bubbles it's no good Or put the shrimp in a nylon makes it easy to remove

So I appreciate all of the cycling info... But I really needed help with my aquascape. Any criticism ( bad or good) is welcomed!

Back
Top Bottom