Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Aquascaping an existing tank.

I have had a tank for about 4 months, so I am pretty new to the hobby. I did my research and carefully selected everything I wanted but now after 4 months I realise that I really knew nothing and that I want to make some changes to my tank.

I would like to know how I can re-scape my tank?

I started it with some dried out live rock and seeded it with some nice cured live rocks from the fish store. If I take some out and leave it to dry so that I can make a big rock structure using some putty will this cause an ammonia spike when I out it back in if thing have died off or would the bacteria in my system cope? Also, if I used some new dried rocks from the fish store would this be ok to add?

I now have some better ideas of what I want but I don't know how best to go about it given that I have a tank with live animals in it.

Rank amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Can't give you too many tips about how to go about it unless you have qt tank or another tank to stock while doing aqua scraping but. You will have mini cycles if you let rock dry and then put it back in so if you do this add it in slowly over few weeks if its a lot of rock rather than all at once. Dried rock should be fine but clean it before you add it IMO

woody390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
How big is this tank?

Any live rock in your tank will need to be kept wet or it will kill a lot of organisms on it and it'll need to be recured and cycled. There is however some saltwater aquascaping putty that will cure underwater.

If it's a smaller tank you can most likely get away with just stacking the rocks.
Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com