Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
aquascaping live rock

I am setting up my first 33 gallon FOWLR (for now, reef later) tank. I have a couple of questions about setting up live rock.

I've seen photos of live rock resting against aquarium glass. Wouldn't this put a lot of pressure on the glass?

What are some ways to secure the live rock to make interesting designs that stay in place?

aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I dont think it should be much of a problem as long as the bulk of the rock isnt leaning completely on the glass.

Some people just throw their rock in and let it form a natural aquascape by itself, but those looking for more control can arrange by hand. Often you can make a nice structure by keeping the rocks in certain ways depending on their shape. My rock is not typical marine rock but you can look at it for an example of how to fit them together (pic). As long as you dont have any fish that would be burying or pushing against the structure it will be ok. You can also drill holes in the rock and use acrylic rods to hold them together, or simply use zip ties. A last solution is to silicone them together, but this is a bit more permanent.

Marco Rocks has a page on aquascaping, click here.

Hope that helps , atte

atte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`ve had my LR on the back glass for 11 yrs now. I do it because it makes the fish swim out front. I just stack the rock on top and try to make caves and caverns. I`ll give it the finger test to see if it stays put.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks, that gives me a few ideas.
aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Use the back glass. There won't be any problems with that. Keep enuf room on the side glass so you can clean it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

api, aquascaping, cap, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com