aquascaping options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is cycled and I am waiting six more weeks to add fish. I am now trying to aquascape. Any thoughts on using epoxy? I have an acrylic tank, so it would have to fit through my cut outs. Also I read an idea to prop up all of your rocks with short pieces of PVC. (the height of my sand bed only) so that cleaning creatures can get underneath to get out the detrius. Any ideas about this? I want to get a bicolor blennie and I dont want him to get smooshed. :bawl: :bawl:

Any thoughts on using epoxy?

Ive never used it, for me, my aquascapng is a kind of one rock at a time thing. For me to use epoxy, I'd have to construct the entire thing outside the aquarium, epoxy it together, then lift it all into place. It is possible to make a stable aquascape without the use of epoxy or glue.

Also I read an idea to prop up all of your rocks with short pieces of PVC. (the height of my sand bed only) so that cleaning creatures can get underneath to get out the detrius. Any ideas about this?

Seems like a pain to me, but I've seen it advised. I find it easier to sink the rock down in the sand, either to the bottom, or at least a few inches.

I want to get a bicolor blennie and I dont want him to get smooshed.

I don't have any experience with bicolors...but I don't think they are diggers.

Now that I added my pistol shrimp I am glad I sunk my rock down several inches. In some spots my sand bed is up to 6" deep and it appears from my shirimps unearthing of some rocks that many of them had been barried as far down as 5" into the sandbed.

When aquascaping I start out with the larger rocks and make them my base. Pushing and twisitng them down into the sand bed till they are stable. Then I build up from there selecting rocks that I have on hand that fit nicly with the rocks I have in the tank. I try to make sure they lock in place so they are not easily moved and knocked out of position but at the same time provide enough room around them for water current and fish movments.

Here is an example of two of my tanks and how they are aquascaped.

45gal_full_tank_5_24_03.sized.jpg

full_tank_May_03_b.jpg

I only have a freshwater tank, so take what I say with a grain of salt (pun intended)--but all the aquascaping books I've looked at for freshwater say to epoxy the rocks together before the water is added. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom