Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are 10-12 gal saltwater tanks sustainable?

Background: had a 30 gal reef tank in CA that I got rid of when I moved to WA. Have 92 gal fw now. Have a 12 gal acrylic tank in the garage and was thinking about getting a saltwater tank going. Is a 12 gal sw tank manageable?

Equipment I have hanging around: RODI unit, heaters, powerheads that are likely way too much for a 12 gal, hood for 12 gal with weak florescent light that I supplemented with a submersible LED light strip, Fluval 106. I have a hydrometer but have read that for small tanks a refractometer is a must (?) Do I need anything else other thank rock and sand? Is the Fluval 106 (rated for 25 gal) going to cut it?

While I'd love to eventually convert the 92, I don't have the funds for the live rock/sand and my 7 year old Oscar should have another 5 years in him.

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

clarification

... and just to be clear, I'm not aspiring to have anything elaborate. Live rock, shrimp or two, mushroom coral, hermits, and maybe a small fish or two. I always found the sand critters and the feather dusters etc coming out of the live rock to be the most entertaining part of a sw tank.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Small tanks are doable if you keep up with them. You can easily do large water changes if things get out of hand on you too.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very easily doable if you keep up with those weekly water changes. My only SW tank is a 10g reef. I cycled it and haven't had any major problems other than my own mistakes.

Caleb
Old 07-25-2015, 02:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes doable. Just make sure you keep an eye on your parameters and your evaporation levels! Good luck.

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, saltwater tanks, stain, tan, tank, tanks, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com