Are corals more colorful at night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it normal for corals to be like brown during the day and nine and colorful under lunar lighting?

Here is a picture of my reef under the halides

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110912_221302.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110912_221302.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 90
I have the odyssea 20k MH bulb and it is blueish but I plan on ordering a better quality bulb so I can have better par and hopefully a more distinct blue.

This is my 20k Odyssea bulb over my rimless. You can kinda make out the blue....

img_1543353_0_1e5701c64930321257ec907133f7c4fc.jpg

still trying to come up with some transition lighting as I only have the single MH bulb and no room for a blue light. Thinking xmas lights or led ropes maybe....

Do you all agree my corals are lacking color under the halides? Do I ned different halides, actinics, timing? What will make the coral colors pop when lights on?

A thing you can look at are stunner led light strips. They might not be the best to "grow" corals but they will really make them pop. I'm really thinking on getting some for my light fixture.

I vote for a good quality 20k bulb. :) You should for sure see a difference

I read somewhere a 20k can hinder coral growth that true? Are the 39w actinics ok?

Carey, which halide should I get? The odyssea ones are ten bucks a piece. I see some halide bulbs for fifty a piece. Any suggestions?

I just went through this with mr x on one of my threads yesterday. :) he said that as long as the Par is there it doesnt matter the 20k or 14k as far as coral growth. Because I don't even have actinic supplement with my setup I was really concerned.

Not sure which of my threads its in might eb the 20g rimlees one. But he went great lengths to explain it all to me

Back
Top Bottom