Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2003, 05:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am no SW expert, but couldn't you just swap out a few cups of sand every once and a while? Just goto the regional forums and donate a few cups of your sand to a newbie. This will help seed them and allow you to replace your old "used sand".

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a good idea, id just worry about trapped gasses in the sandbed. On my next tank im going to use a plenum and a medium sandbed around 3" with the deeper sandbed in a refugium.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:41 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Biotoxin, if you'll do some more looking, you'll find plenty of folks who'll tell you that a plenum is a nutrient sink and will eventually destroy your tank. Yet many aquarists use plenums and have for years without a problem...same thing with DSB's. There isn't really any "correct" way to set up a SW tank...there are several ways that will work with each having it's pros and cons. As I said before, I'd love to see some conclusive data regarding both plenums and DSB's...someone else will have to do it though...I can't afford to .
Old 10-20-2003, 05:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya i agree there are many ways to do a tank and many success stories with and without DSB's/Plenums etc. When it comes to duplicating nature i think we really do what we think is right instead of things just doing what they do naturally through evolution. I think we're still just learning about reef systems and maybe in 10 years there will be at least some conclusion on the degredation of a sand bed. Who knows, maybe it gets better over time.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:00 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

There is a rather lengthy thread here at AA.com that discusses the problems or not, that DSB's have.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1494

This can become a rather hotly debated topic, so let's keep in mind, everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion and all are valid

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I was always under the impression that aragonite DSBs deteriorate at approx the rate of 1/4" to 1/2" anually. If this sand is replaced anually refreshing the DSB, there seems to me, no problem at all. A deeper DSB in a fuge sounds very logical as well. As for silica sand, I shrug. However the occasional sand swap without going to deep under the surface as Mr. McAllen has pointed out sounds logical as well. In my very limited research and knowledge I will make a prediction just as "those other guys" have. (I am very loyal to my friends here at AA!):

-The plenium will retire to the clearance rack just as the UGF and the tapered leg levis.

LONG LIVE THE DSB!!!

-thanks for allowing me to throw my opinions and theories out.
R-
Old 10-20-2003, 06:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can see the theories and scientific information behind dsb's and they do have a proven reputation. I think the main argument is from those that have dsb's and dont take care of them properly. After all, it only takes a few people with dsb's that fail to spread misinformation.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anybody ever here ever of this new invention called a 'gravel vac' and siphon tube?

:- )

The greater problem with a DSB is that metals and otherwise inert materials slowly build up and creates this toxic/anoxic layer that eventually collides with the aerobic layer, and then 'boom'. The actual deterioritation of the substrate material itself, usually arogonite or CC, isn't a problem.

Another thing I do with my tanks is keep a shallow layer of sand in certain parts of the tank so my tank bottom isn't uniform. This would seem to keep the dreaded anoxic layer at bay because it's not static.

I wish I could discount DSB's for certain, but considering I tend to over-feed and over-stock *and* my nitrate levels are near zero, I just can't discount them.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Anybody ever here ever of this new invention called a 'gravel vac' and siphon tube?
What about it? Are you suggesting we remove our sand beds vis a syphon and replace them on a regular schedule?

If something was to develop a toxic layer of gas it would be the plenum since the entire concept of one is to intentionally create a space that is nearly void of water flow.

I have and will continue to use DSB's until I suffer a great crash of my ecosystem. There are just way to many factors in peoples tanks to try to formulate what caused what. It could be so many combonation of things that could lead to an issue where as two people with the exact same setup might not experence the exact same problem because maybe 1 perosn feeds less or feeds more or has less fish or more fish or has 1 less sand sifter, etc.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the feedback guys. I dont see a plenum on the ocean or a clear glass bottom when i go to the beach so ill stick with dsb's for now

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com