Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-02-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Are hermit crabs and snails mutually exclusive?

I passed by the LFS to see if my hermit crabs came in.

But I did see some bumblebee snails that looked really neat. I was really tempted to pick up some for my cycled-but-empty tank, but reminded myself about the dangers of impulse shopping.

Will the blue-leg (and the red reef) hermits get along with the bumblebee snails and snails in general? Or will I have eventually have hermits wearing snail shells?

I really want hermit crabs in the tank, and if that means no snails, so be it.

leafyseadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Like most people will tell you, hermit crabs are opportunistic scavengers. I have hermits and snails in my tank and have had no problems that I know of. Make sure you provide your crabs with some extra shells so that they don't have to kill a snail to get into another one.

FYI, bumblebee's will eat any pods in your sandbed. If you have a DSB, this would be a major problem.

Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are there any other snails that will eat pods, or other beneficial fauna from DSB and LR?
ercfish is offline   Reply With Quote

crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com