are mantis shrimp easy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have three freshwater aquariums, and I've been reading about mantis shrimp lately. The more I read the more interested I am. I have a few questions:
1. Are they expensive / hard to find online?
2. Are they boring? (I had a scorpion and it was a bore, lol)
3. Are they pretty easy to care for?

I've never done any kind of saltwater tank, but I have a 5 gallon tank that isn't being used and I would love to have a single mantis shrimp in it. Just curious what people who keep them have to say about it as a pet.

1. Are they expensive / hard to find online?
It depends. The more colorful ones may be pricey, but otherwise I'd say they are about average price for a SW animal and usually available.
2. Are they boring? (I had a scorpion and it was a bore, lol)
After while- probably lol. I like a nice, peaceful reef tank b/c there is always something new going on w/ all the diversity. Although some LR w/ the mantis shrimp would add some interest as well as aid filtration.
3. Are they pretty easy to care for?
I'd say yes and no. All inverts need good, clean, stable tanks. They are just as or more demanding than hardy-moderate fish. They will not stand ammonia, nitrites. Nitrates must be kept below 15-20 ppm w/ inverts. PWC's are also generally needed to provide the necessary elements for molting and overall health (iodine, etc). Also, the smaller the tank, the more difficult it is to keep stable water chemistry. I'd recommend starting w/ the largest tank possible ie. 29 gal or larger. HTH

thank you very much for the help!

I also have no experience with live rock ... I actually dont really know what that is.. :p I'll do some research

I also have no experience with live rock ... I actually dont really know what that is
It's very cool stuff. It's basically rock taken from around natural reefs. You can also get aquacultured LR (less impact on natural reefs). It provides great biological filtration, aids natural food supplies in aquariums, and adds all sorts of interesting critters ie. mini starfish, amphipods, copepods, worms, etc. that hitchhike in on it.

yea....i was on you tube, they are scary, im never buying live rock. ever. there was a vid where that thing chopped of an octopus tentacle. it staright stood up to him and was like "CHOP!!!" they look like a mix between a cockroach and a praying mantis...eww

I think it's safe to bet that you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than having a mantis shrimp hitchhike on your liverock........

I think it'd be hard to miss something that colorful

You would be surprised at how many folks get them as hitch hikers. They can be very small at first and very sneaky.

yea...they hide in live rock. it really isnt that hard. when w get shipments in at my work we have to check all the pores. they arent always big and colorful

and...i dont think you want to put mantis shrimp with anything. theres a video on you tube of it messing up a poor little crab that didnt do anything. it just started punching and punching it and then ate it..theyre evil. yuck!

and...i dont think you want to put mantis shrimp with anything. theres a video on you tube of it messing up a poor little crab that didnt do anything. it just started punching and punching it and then ate it..theyre evil. yuck!

Ha, I lol'd at that post. Did you mean the little crab didn't do anything to "deserve it"??? If so that's hilarious, like the shrimp was getting revenge or something.

My Texas Cichlid eats feeder fish that "didn't do anything" either.

If you meant didn't do anything to defend itself it's not really that funny but the way I took it I lol'd. Thats life/nature, or at least the simulation of it in our tanks.

BTW, I saw that video too and did feel sorry for that crab, tha shrimp was VICIOUS!

Last edited:
Yeah, Id also think the odds are a lot better to get a mantis hitch hiker than getting hit by lightning. A lot better!

Especially with Florida rock I hear.

From what I hear they're really easy to miss because they live inside the rocks and dont necessarily leave during the curing process. Also, the brightly colored ones are beautiful, but most of them are brownish or yellow, tan etc.

Anyway I've lost interest in getting one of these. After having a scorpion and a crayfish family I'm kind of over inverts (at least the arachnids / crustaceans). They're pretty boring and I never really noticed an intelligence or personality. Lol, I know that sounds harsh but they just disappointed me I guess.

Not to be mean, but, as stated earlier, it's part of natural life, just like some f us grew up on "Animal Kingdom:....

I want a mantis tank, Stick a couple plieces of LR in there and have some fun with hit. It would be kind of like having an underwater guard dog :). I am pretty good with sw upkeep, I have ro/di unite a few aquacremoras laying around. I even have a 29 gallon tank. but I'd rather have a nano or bio cube. WHoever was saying that earlier they said 29g minimum for Mantis shrimp? or Minimum for a beginner with water qaulity ??????:)

we know its a part of life...its still sad, like when snakes have to eat baby pinkys..geez

Back
Top Bottom