Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 49
Are my shrimp decomposing??

Yeah, I recently just put 2 raw shrimp in my tank after some advise, and reading Articles. They have like a huge layer of clear film around them, is this what supposed to be happening, are they decomposing??I have ordered the Master Test kit, so hopefuly I will be able to start testing by Monday or so!!
__________________

__________________
Driller31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller31 View Post
Yeah, I recently just put 2 raw shrimp in my tank after some advise, and reading Articles. They have like a huge layer of clear film around them, is this what supposed to be happening, are they decomposing??I have ordered the Master Test kit, so hopefuly I will be able to start testing by Monday or so!!
Yes that clear sac is normal. You will be testing levels of ammonia when you get your kits on Monday. Thy cycle has started. I hope you have nothing alive in there.
__________________

__________________
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 49
No nothing alive, thanks for the good info...So when everything spikes and then drops back to 0, is it then time to maybe add a fish or 2??Or would the spike have already happend??
__________________
Driller31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller31 View Post
No nothing alive, thanks for the good info...So when everything spikes and then drops back to 0, is it then time to maybe add a fish or 2??Or would the spike have already happend??
First you will see your ammonia go up, then your ammonia will start going down and nitrite will go up and then nitrite will go down to zero. Then test for Nitrate (once your ammonia and nitrite are 0), you should test positive for nitrate. Then do a partial water change and add a fish or two quick so you do not lose your cycle. Or you can start adding inverts like a cleanup crew as long as you are feeding them... or do both.
__________________
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
 
cmor1701d's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Belle Mead, NJ
Posts: 7,814
The partial water change should be 30% - 50%. Wait a week, test the water and if all remains at 0, you can add your first fish.

My recommendation is to set up a small QT tank now for the first fish. Yes, this tank will be uncycled so you need to add a small hob powerfilter, one with a biowheel is a good choice.

Then be prepared to do 20% water changes in the morning and at night for the fiirst week to maintain pristine water conditions in the QT while the bio wheel starts building up a bacteria colony. Keep the fish in QT for 4 weeks to make sure it is healthy and parasite free.

After you transfer the fish to the display tank you can keep the biowheell in the sump if you have one. If not, place it in the tank for a a week before you set up the QT tank for the next fish purchase.

You could of course just maintain the QT tank and get the second fish as soon as the first is moved to the display tank. Then your QT is already cycled and you can just do a 10% weekly pwc.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
The partial water change should be 30% - 50%. Wait a week, test the water and if all remains at 0, you can add your first fish.

My recommendation is to set up a small QT tank now for the first fish. Yes, this tank will be uncycled so you need to add a small hob powerfilter, one with a biowheel is a good choice.

Then be prepared to do 20% water changes in the morning and at night for the fiirst week to maintain pristine water conditions in the QT while the bio wheel starts building up a bacteria colony. Keep the fish in QT for 4 weeks to make sure it is healthy and parasite free.

After you transfer the fish to the display tank you can keep the biowheell in the sump if you have one. If not, place it in the tank for a a week before you set up the QT tank for the next fish purchase.

You could of course just maintain the QT tank and get the second fish as soon as the first is moved to the display tank. Then your QT is already cycled and you can just do a 10% weekly pwc.
Although smart and recommended by most.... its so much extra work and is only very effective if you QT everything wet. I used to QT and hypo treat all fish, however, I was adding inverts so often I still got ich in the tank. Then I put all the fish in a QT and tried to treat for ich and they all died. I had been successful killing ich in QT before this incident, so I knew what I was doing. After going fallow for 8-weeks with no fish my new approach is to freshwater+methylene blue dip all fish(except for my Achilles from DiversDen), put them into the main tank with pristine water conditions and lots of live rock caves/crevices for them to hide in and then feed, feed, feed them a nice variety and keep them fat and healthy so their own immune system can fight off parasite etc. Also important is where you purchase the fish from and this can be hard to tell if you are new to the hobby. There are some LFS out there where I would never put a fish from their system in my tank even after my whole dipping process. By the way the freshwater dipping process needs to be done perfectly or you can kill the fish.
__________________
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Moved to the getting started forum.
__________________

__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deco, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Cherry Shrimp, Snowball Shrimp, Yellow Shrimp For Sale bs6749 Archive 30 09-16-2009 01:56 PM
Feeding Randall's Shrimp Goby/Tiger Shrimp JonnyKhan Nano Reefs 4 03-22-2009 03:34 PM
Buy Live Shrimp for Food Online or Fresh Shrimp from Publix? GatorDrew Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 01-07-2007 02:55 PM
[color=brown]Cycle with decomposing fish food[/color] wrx Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 3 02-23-2004 10:07 AM
Monkey shrimp and pistol shrimp reef safe? jamal-188 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 12 11-16-2003 07:02 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.