Are Tangs an absolute No for a 38Long tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, loose one fish and you would be golden. Also stock slow, let you cycle finish, qt everything for a month and do it one fish at a time, angel last.
If you do the chromis(they are small) loose another.
Salttanker, thats why I got my size tank. Wanted lots of options and especially wanted a big angel. :)
Crono-vivi, I started back in the late 70s when I was your age with a 29 gallon. Your off to a better start than I was. Took many years to afford a tank this size. :wink:

That makes me feel better Quarryshark. :wink: I also work at a very good Pet Shop(if you want me to explain why, I will, just don't feel like cluttering this up if no one wants to read it, lol), and have a 25% discount, so I'm in a good position.

Alright, I think I'll just stick with the list I have. What order do you think I should stock them? I was thinking this:

2 Clowns
Blenny
Gramma
Angel

Would that be good? Also, how many Inverts could I stock in a 38? Would the Blenny live them all alone?

I'm a big fan of the hermit crabs, as long as there are enough shells for them to climb into, and enough food to go around - otherwise they have a tendency to play highlander crab.. "there can only be one.."

Don't bother with the flame unless you plan to get 40+ lbs LR. They don't do well without it.

So just stick with a Coral Beauty?

Also, I think I'm going to get a Orange-Spotted Goby instead of the Blenny.

Coral Beauty will be the same thing.. you need lots of LR to keep any Dwarf Angel healthy/happy.

I would reconsider purchasing an Angel of any kind unless you can buy LR. Angels need to be able to graze all day on the rock for food sources.

Maybe I'll have to reconsider buying LR. I would need at least 40lbs for one Dwarf Angel? Isn't LR like 8bucks a pound? :(

You can get it cheaper on ebay, around 3/lb, but not sure how good quality it is. Some offer free shipping.

I heard that when you order online though they can carry some not so good critters into your aquarium. I wouldn't want to lose any of my fish, especially since after I buy the initial setup I'll be on a very tight budget anyways....

I have a 55gal can I please keep a yellow tang, they seem pretty small in the wild? :cry:
I will have approximately 90lbs of lr in my tank.

I would suggest having at least a 70G tank for a Tang at a minimum. 55G is a good size for several other fish though. Tangs are very sensitive to water quality, and a smaller tank would make it more difficult to keep one. FWIW.

Mike

seafan said:
can I please keep a yellow tang
You don't need anyones permission.. you can keep whatever you like.

Just know that Tangs need big tanks for the swimming space. Their growth gets stunted otherwise, and can lead to bad health later on.

Back
Top Bottom