Are these Water test results OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm 4 or 5 days into cycling my 120 FOWLR and took a bunch of water tests, can you guys let me know if they are OK. Thanx

Salinity = 30 ppt
Spec Gravity = 1.022-1.023 (Does the concentration fluctuate with Temp?)
PH = 8.0
KH = 9
NH3 + NH4 = 1.5 mg/l and rising
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 6 mg/l
Copper = 0
Phosphate = .8 mg/l
silicate = 3 mg/l
Iodide = .02 mg/l

Hopefully the results are within parameters. Thank

When you are cycling the only parameters you need to worry about is Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The other parameters will bounce around during the cycle and not really reliable. Only worry about those three now. Saying that everything is looking good so far.

I understand that, I'm not familiar with SW parameters and wanted to know if the tank was established would they be good readings so i have some point of reference later on.

Hello,

A tank is becoming cycled once ammonia and nitrite are zero with readings registered in nitrate. This means there are enough bacteria in the water to start converting ammonia to nitrate. Beware if all readings are zero because you may not have anything yet to start the cycle. I would not put anything in my tank until I know there are bacteria present ready to break down the food waste and that is possible only when you have low nitrate readings. Regarding your readings, you have bacteria doing the conversion but not enough because ammonia is still present. It is very toxic to fish so you need to have it converted quickly. DP

Back
Top Bottom