are we where we should be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

settles4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our 55 gal. tank was set up on 9-13-13. It has had 10 lbs live rock and 20 lbs live sand in since the beginning, with 3 more lbs rock added since. Stability was used according to instuctions for the first week, and then 5 damsels were added. Salinity is at 1.022. A Yellow Tang was added on 10-10-13.

Water tests
9-26-13 PH 8.4 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 5 ppm
10-2-13 PH 8.2 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 5 ppm
10-17-13 PH 8.2 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 20 ppm
10-19-13 Water change
10-20-13 some fish showed ich.
10-21-13 tank treated with clout. one damsel was lost during treatment.
10-22-13 ich cleared up
10-23-13 PH 8.2 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 10 ppm

We have brown algae covering the sand now for a couple weeks. From what I have read we should be cycled but I thought that meant the brown algae should be gone or at least going. My main question is when we might expect the algae to clear up and to hear any advice . Very new at saltwater so any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Our 55 gal. tank was set up on 9-13-13. It has had 10 lbs live rock and 20 lbs live sand in since the beginning, with 3 more lbs rock added since. Stability was used according to instuctions for the first week, and then 5 damsels were added. Salinity is at 1.022. A Yellow Tang was added on 10-10-13.

Water tests
9-26-13 PH 8.4 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 5 ppm
10-2-13 PH 8.2 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 5 ppm
10-17-13 PH 8.2 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 20 ppm
10-19-13 Water change
10-20-13 some fish showed ich.
10-21-13 tank treated with clout. one damsel was lost during treatment.
10-22-13 ich cleared up
10-23-13 PH 8.2 Am 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 10 ppm

We have brown algae covering the sand now for a couple weeks. From what I have read we should be cycled but I thought that meant the brown algae should be gone or at least going. My main question is when we might expect the algae to clear up and to hear any advice . Very new at saltwater so any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

You really need more liverock. Shoot for 1-1 and a half pounds per gallon so you want 55-75 lbs. you're also gonna want more sand but that's not as crucial as the rock. Are you using tap water. The brown algae or diatoms usually feed off silicates in a new tank and then disappear once the silicates run out.

We used tap water for the original fill, treated with water-rite, forgot to mention that. Since then we have used RO water from local store for topoffs and changes. How much more sand would be recommended? Much of the advice from the store seems to be against what I am reading on here. For example when I told them I had ich they couldn't give me a definite way to treat it. And then they said "if your Tang does die, we can get you another one here by Tues." Really? Guess that's why I looked for and found this great site and forum.

We used tap water for the original fill, treated with water-rite, forgot to mention that. Since then we have used RO water from local store for topoffs and changes. How much more sand would be recommended? Much of the advice from the store seems to be against what I am reading on here. For example when I told them I had ich they couldn't give me a definite way to treat it. And then they said "if your Tang does die, we can get you another one here by Tues." Really? Guess that's why I looked for and found this great site and forum.

Well it's good you have switched to RO now, it will save you headaches down the line. I'd reccomend an inch sand bed, however if you like the look of your sand bed now I wouldn't add more. Also when you add rock do it slowly and you can also get base rock which will save money. A lot of lfs are out there to sell you things and are not always looking out for you or your livestock. That's bad about the tang though. I wouldn't take their advice on anything if they told you that. I work at a lfs and it's awful to hear things like that because I always try and give people good advice and recommend proper stock. I will refuse to sell fish to someone if their tank is not appropriate.

Wow...scary to hear a LFS say that. I would take zero advice from them moving forward. Dealing with Ich is Fish-keeping 101 stuff.

I agree that more rock is a good idea. Values for more beneficial bacteria. It can be dry base rock though...does not need to be the $7 a pound stuff. It will become live over time.

The Ich thing worries me...once you have Ich in your display tank, it is there, whether you see it or not. Part of it's life cycle is where it drops off your fish and into the sand to multiply. It will likely resurface later unless something is done now. If you go to the Sick Fish board on this site, there are dozens of posts about treatment. You are basically looking at either copper or Hyposalinity and those should be done out of the tank in a QT tank. Then you leave your DT fallow for 6-8 weeks. That allows what is in there to die off due to not having fish to host it. It is no fun, especially when just starting a tank, but its less fun when it continues to kill future additions.

Thanks bribo12, I'll be adding some more rock soon. And I'm looking in to getting a way to make water. I have to drive close to an hr and a half and pay 5 dollars a gallon to get some now. Seems like a maker would pay for itself pretty quick.

TheTodd, yes it surprised me to. The Clout is what they recommended I use on the ich, they did give me enough for three doses for free. After the first dose, the ich disappeared pretty quickly. Your saying the meds probably didn't kill the ich all the way?

Thanks bribo12, I'll be adding some more rock soon. And I'm looking in to getting a way to make water. I have to drive close to an hr and a half and pay 5 dollars a gallon to get some now. Seems like a maker would pay for itself pretty quick.

TheTodd, yes it surprised me to. The Clout is what they recommended I use on the ich, they did give me enough for three doses for free. After the first dose, the ich disappeared pretty quickly. Your saying the meds probably didn't kill the ich all the way?

Yup an ro/di unit will run you about $125-150 but it will pay for itself very quickly if you are using that much gas and spending $5 a gallon. I get mine for .50 per gallon.

I too instantly got warned about using tap water for my little 10 gallon SW nano tank
Our walmart sells ro/di water for about .98 a gallon so I will buy it like that for now.
If and when I get my 50 & 90 gallon tanks set up for saltwater, then I will go buy the ro/di system to make the water at home.

sorry, it is .50 a gallon. It was 5 dollar a lb for live rock. Which one would be a good ro/io unit for that price range.

Back
Top Bottom