Argh!! I can't wait!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
You suppose there is a market for "already cycled" water? I got my 65g tank and stand yesturday and added the salt and water today. I don't have the sand for the DSB yet but I figure the sooner I get the cycle goin the sooner I will be able to add some creatures!

I wish I could find some stinkin sand!

aaaaahhhhhhhh :pokes eyes out: arrrgghhhhhhh :crazyeyes:

At least this will give you time to figure out what you will want to do with the tank. Are you going to use LR? Reef System? If so, you can go ahead and get that part started so it will be ready when you start adding fish. The worst part about this hobby is developing patience. It will be worth it in the end though.
I'm sure there is a great need for "already cycled" water. Let me know when you find it. :)

i dont think that it is the water that needs to cycle as much as the sand and rock need to build up the proper bacteria during the cycling process for filtration

Ya its not the water. There is very little free floating bactera inthe water that consumes the ammonia and nitrite. Its the substrate, rock and even the glass walls of your tank where these bactera live. We have some members in KC im sure. Hopefully some of them will find this thread and you can get a cup of their sand. This is one of the easiest ways to start the cycle process. If your going to put live rock in your tank nows the time. You can use the rock to cycle the tank aswell.

Patience is important in a SW tank so please dont try to rush it. Rushing the tank will only cause significant headache and pocketbook pain later down the road.

If I was close enough I'd give you some ls to seed your's

Me too. If you are planning a trip to Chicago real soom let me know. You can stop by and take some home with you.

Mike

Thank you guys for your support. It is so cool that there are so many people willing to help and give.. makes this hobby even better!

Is it ok for the water to sit in my tank for a while before I start the cycle? I've added the salt and have a powerhead running to keep things moving. I have not been able to find the right sand at the local hardware stores and I don't really want to pay $55 a bag at the LFS.

Thanks,

-Maximo

I have (1) 50 lb bag of sand you can have...again, if you are making a trip north you can stop by and pick it up.

Mike

No it won't hurt a thing for it just to sit there and runthrough the ph.
Cool. Thanks.

Did you use RO water?
Yep! RO/DI

I have (1) 50 lb bag of sand you can have...again, if you are making a trip north you can stop by and pick it up.

Mike
Well it might have been cheaper for me to drive to Chicago and pick up some sand but I bit the bullet today and bought the CaribSea at $30 a bag. Bought 4 bags. I figure there are so many things I have to be patient on.. this is one of the things I could do to get things rollin even though it cost more than I liked.

Thanks again guys... I am so glad you are all here.

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom