Argonite sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just went to HD and got a bag of sand and I tested it with vinegar and it is Argonite....My question is how full do i will it up with sand?? i havew about 2" in it now...More? Less? I can use some help on this topic...

Also, I was talking to someone and they told me I would also need to add just a cup of ls with my playsand...A cup? isnt that pointless?? waht do you recommend??

Thanks a lot!

In the picture, look at the bottom of the tank, that black edge is about and inch thick and my sand is about and inch over that...(for and idea of how much sand I have...)

Attachments

• im000276_126.jpg
    im000276_126.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 159
What kind of playsand did you buy at hd?

The cup of ls is used to seed your sand bed with bacteria. Its not pointless at all and will kickstart your cycle. Much better than buying that "live sand" in a bag at the store. If you are going for a dsb - 4-6 inches seems to be what people are doing.

Once you figure out how deep you want the sand bed, you can click the calculators link on this site and find out how much sand you'll need.

tropical..i guess all i know is that its argonite because it fizzes.

My sand bed should be 4-6 inches??
where is the calculators link on this site??

okay, for the cup or 2 of ls from the lfs, do they charge you or are they generouse??

i have 2 inches now of sand and that seems like a lot, do i keep going? or stop...i put in a full bag

goodfish, what is the name of the brand of sand you got? Did you get it at the one in Clifton Park? Is it Silicate Based? If it is indeed the right stuff i would buy a lot of bags while you can, it is incredibly hard to find, and if you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future you will save big bucks. I have 60lbs, im guessing you put in a 40lb bag, i would put in another 40lbs, most will agree that a 4 inch base is ideal, mine is around 3 inches, but i was also paying 20bucks for 20lbs, not 5 bucks for 40 lbs.

i could probably hook you up with a cup or two, even though i dont have alot, and my tank is relatively new. Any way you can post a pic of the bag of sand you got.

okay, im goin out right now but ill post when i get beck im in a hurry the sand is argonite tho...not silicate..someone told me to get argonite(its better) now i duno wut to do

Back
Top Bottom