Arrow crab compatibility...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billy302

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a very large arrow crab in my tank that has been doing a great job devouring bristle worms. Can I leave that loveable guy in there if I want to purchase some hard corals?? I have heard they will pick at soft coral but I haven't heard anything about hard. Will they mess with a feather duster??

Thanks Dudes!!

Bill

Buddy of mine just purchased one. He has a bunch of feather dusters also. I will let you know if it messes with them.

I may get one of these eventually. Just because it is the oddest creature I have ever seen.

They have a history of eating worms including dusters. Like most crabs, there is a risk.

Mine had a feast last week and ate one of my cleaner shrimps. The arrow crab must have caught the cleaner during moulding. It was the most expensive sushi for the arrow :evil: Otherwise, he hasn't touched any of my dusters.

I had one in my 29G with some polyps and finger leather, couple shrooms and a couple dusters (Small) I also had a sailfin blenny in there. (And a LTA anemone at the time) It harmed nothing. Not even the smaller hermit and snail. They are noted as being opportunistic, as stated above, so be sure theres nothing your not willing to part with. Its truly a 50-50 scenario. They are a blast to watch though. Very odd and freaks all the ladies out..Looks like an underwater daddy long legs..

GL!

They really do look like them. They are really odd creatures. Buddies will rub algea off the glass with various parts of its body. Then rub it on his head. He actually has algea growing on his head. Not sure why. Anytime my buddies yellow tail damsel comes around he tries to grab it. If the tank was bigger I wouldn't be worried. But in a 10 gal with 10lbs of rock he may have a chance at night.

I have also observed he often opens up a hatch at his bottom. I have no ideal what he is doing, it is like if though he is either cleaning it or putting something in the hatch. Any idea? It is fun to watch though.

Back
Top Bottom