Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

arrow/spider crab in a 14 gallon reef?

I have a 14 gallon biocube and I just found a tiny tiny arrow crab that I love. I know they can get pretty big but will it be happy in my tank? And is it reef compatible? My current live stock is red n blue hermits, various snails and a YW goby. Thanks guys!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

as long as its well fed and you have no slow moving fish it should be okay, if not it might go after your corals, but they get about 6" and make sure you get a regular arrow instead of a decorator(these are suggested to take caution in a reef)

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How can I tell the difference? The sign said decorator. My future stock list is goona be a banggai kardinal, a clown and my watchman that I already have, is that okay? Also what do they eat? And will it get along with a pistol shrimp? Sorry for all the ?'S just doin my research before I buy
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
a watchman goby in a 14 gallon? it's not ideal. meanwhile, an arrow crab is a crab. no way in telling, but i tend to like their behavior better than coral banded shrimp.
i have seen softball sized arrow crabs btw.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i was just reading off liveaquaria, it said they like meaty foods

look on liveaquaria, the decorator looks fuzzy while the regular looks like a plain arrow crab. just do some googling
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive heard of people keeping watchman in 5 gallon picos.. i was told its a perfect fish for that size if provided with many hiding places but thats not what im trying to figure out anyway, thanks for the advice though. As for the crab its definitely a regular arrow, ive read stories online that they spear fish and devour hermits..does anyone have personal expierence with one in a small reef tank? i know each creature could behave differently but id just like to hear some personal accounts. BTW he is tiny maybe an inch tall and my goby is bigger
Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

forgot to add that i plan on a pom pom crab as well in the future
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i'm just saying, i've seen yellow watchmans that were 5" long before. i've also seen folks keep tangs in nanos!
as for the crab, the spearing fish thing is not true, but it's quite possible it could eat a fish if given the chance. i've kept a few of them, but never in a small tank. not because i caution against it, but just because i didn't have the opportunity.
i've personally never seen them do anything remotely aggressive. as a matter of fact, i had a coral banded shrimp kill a much larger arrow crab once.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i'm just saying, i've seen yellow watchmans that were 5" long before. i've also seen folks keep tangs in nanos!
as for the crab, the spearing fish thing is not true, but it's quite possible it could eat a fish if given the chance. i've kept a few of them, but never in a small tank. not because i caution against it, but just because i didn't have the opportunity.
i've personally never seen them do anything remotely aggressive. as a matter of fact, i had a coral banded shrimp kill a much larger arrow crab once.
yea true, the average is 3" so i HOPE he stays around that. and great thanks thats what i was looking for. well maybe ill pick him up then, hes only the size of a quarter and maybe an inch tall. if he becomes an issue ill just return him, hes only 8$ anyway

Tags
14 gallon, crab, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com