Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ashley's New Adventure _ 46 Bowfront SW reef

Alright so my husband and I have decided we want to give a go at a SW water tank. After many year of FW tanks. SW just seems so much more interesting and rewarding.
So I have been reading and reading and reading lol and we are picking up our tank this Sunday which has been a FOWLR for the last 10 years. (46 bowfront) Its coming with some equipment and some inhabitants which I will be giving to the fish store or trading for some live rock. Because in all reality I'm not ready for live animals in this tank lol. I need pet rocks first.

I do need some help though, although most of the equipment is coming with this and has been bought new within the last 6 months, I don't have a whole lot left to purchase, but I would like some input before I start putting hundreds of dollars of what may be useless equipment in to this. I want it to be my pride and joy not a nightmare.

Here is what comes with it....

Glass top/with light, Fluval 304 canister filter with all media, 2 Hydor Koralia 4 turbo pumps 1200 GPH, WON Pro Heat II 250w Digital heater, and Prizm Deluxe Skimmer.
I have about 30 lbs of live rock. 4 fish included. Immaculate Puffer, Niger Trigger, Maroon Clown, and Spotted Hawkfish. Misc crabs,snails also in tank.
Test kits, Sea salt, cleaners, and more will also be included.

Obviously I need a new light considering this is a regular ol aquarium light. Because I do want to keep some soft and LPS corals ( no SPS)

So here is what I was thinking for the lighting... is this enough? I really want to stay away from MH and having to get a chiller.

Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Fixture 96 Watt coralife 36 inch lunar aqualight 36 lunar aqualight

I would like to add 25 lbs more of live rock.... 30 lbs of rock comes with already along with sand and he says he has more sand I can have.

Combo Live Rock: Combination Box Live Rock from Aquatic Connection Live

What else would be super important to have ? and if these supplies above are not sufficient what should I consider getting?

Thank you for the help
Ashley

Old 04-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you want to house corals may i suggest a bigger skimmer, the prizms are to small for a 46g reef. i's also suggest T5HOs over the power compact, you can get individual reflectors on T5s and the bulbs are much cheaper.

some would also say take off the glass top, going with out a top may have more evaporation but it gives better gas exchange, keeping the water column more stable

Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
those fish will all have to go. none of them are reef safe and most of them require much larger tanks. judging by the stock list i don't think the previous owner had much salt water knowledge.
i agree on t-5 fixtures. a 4 lamp fixture will work well for you. btw, metal halide doesn't necessarily mean you will need a chiller. i've used them for years without one.
where is that sand coming from? how long has this system been set up before you got it? has the sand been in the tank the whole 10 years? you might want to remove the existing sand bed and start over with new sand. in some cases when you move a tank and disrupt an established sand bed, you can release a lot of detritus and cause issues.
at least i would put the sand in buckets and rinse it out completely so to avoid this.
i would also consider drilling the tank and adding a sump. this is an easy task and will make your reef keeping experience more enjoyable. if you are willing to consider this, this company:
Complete Overflow Kits - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff
sells everything you need.
as for the live rock, you could just purchase dry rock cheaper and it will become live in a short time.
something like this perhaps-
Dry Rock
Old 04-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

mrx you're awesome man, my girlfriend just sent me a text message this morning telling me her brother wants $250 for his 70 freshwater. i said all i need is the stand and tank cuz i'll prob end up putting a sump. so those overflow kits just came at the perfect time
Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is probably a dumb question and I think already know the answer BUT, can you drill a hole in a tank without draining it? My tank has just cycled and I'm really considering a sump just to be extra clean. Maybe drain the water down a bit and drill the hole?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

no you can't, you'd release glass shards into the water as you drill through. you could lower the water level but then you'd have to worry about the glass in the water, not a good thing.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess Ill just have to look for an overflow box than

any recommendations?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

sometimes an over flow box is a better way to go, specially if you want to resell the tank afterwards.

you can make DIY overflows, just google them
Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also they keep your sump from flooding during a power outage
Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone for all of the advice We picked up the tank today and did trade in the fish to the lfs for some new live sand. I did take all the existing sand and rinse it all till the water ran clear and just put the ro water in. I have to wait a few hours as my husband is sleeping in that room right now to finish the rest of my tinkering. We do plan on making a sump just haven't gotten around to all that yet, we needed to see how big the stand was before we started to make that. I would have to get overflow boxes as this tank is not reef ready. But we will do that. I did find a light on ebay that has metal halide, power compact and led lunars for 200$ total of 442 watts. Which Im sure would be plenty of light. and I may ditch the lid.
Thanks for the info on the dry rock I will definatly be looking into that. We have quite a while of waiting for all this to cycle anyway as I really dont want to rush anything and would like to take my time.

Also how do you all feel about the UV sterilizer ?? good product or waste of money?

Its funny cause the guy I bought all this from has been running salt water tanks for 20 years lol. I thought some of it was too small also. Ohh well I will upgrade slowly. The rock he had was awesome and the tank and stand are wonderful so I'm happy with the used purchase it may not have saved me a ton but it did save me a little.

Tags
46 gallon, bowfront, lighting, reef, supplies, sw reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com