Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes they would. t-5s with individual reflectors would work fine for that tank. the reflectors are very important. they increase the light intensity immensely.
also, the lamps are very important- ATI and giesemann lamps are the best. i prefer ATI.
you can purchase retro kits and build them into the canopy if you like.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you know if the reflectors are meant for an exact fixture or are thy universal? Seems as though t5 fixtures are the same but the ballasts are different for HOs. I can get ballasts and fixtures. Would just need reflectors and bulbs.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

I really apologize for all the spiratic questions! Since you're here i'm taking advantage haha!

What's your thought on caribsea aragonite? I found 30lbs dry for $15 on sale. Know if its ok? Looks more tan than the live sand I will be getting. I wonder how it would look mixed up. It's sugar sized.
-Nick
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

each fixture requires different reflectors.
carib sea aragonite sand is fine. slightly larger than sugar sized if you can get it. any aragonite sand will do.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

be careful of the rain barrel. I highly doubt it is new. Many people pressure wash food barrels. the companies only want to transport them full for some reason. Pickles are good. soap would be bad.

also, you are going to want filtered water. RO/DI is best with 0 TDS.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol..i got a barrel from a company called "sweet ovations" a few years ago. it had blueberry fruit filling in it. it took about a year before i couldn't smell blueberries anymore.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
lol..i got a barrel from a company called "sweet ovations" a few years ago. it had blueberry fruit filling in it. it took about a year before i couldn't smell blueberries anymore.
haha! Well I found out that the barrel actually had Barley extract in it and was used for food and beverage production. Think that's an issue? I did some reading and apparently Barley Extract is used in ponds for algae control?! That can't be good? It does safe it's safe for fish and what not but I know there's more involved with coral. Can it be rinsed or washed out with salt water or something?

Barley Straw, Liquid Barley Extract,
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm..i don't know about barley extract's effects on marine life, but it states it won't hurt your aquatic plants or bacteria either. i don't see how it would become a problem. but i'm not telling you it's ok to use. i'm just making a guess.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
hmm..i don't know about barley extract's effects on marine life, but it states it won't hurt your aquatic plants or bacteria either. i don't see how it would become a problem. but i'm not telling you it's ok to use. i'm just making a guess.
So you think it's ok right? Kidding! I find it hard to believe that it will kill off algae but not harm anything else? I guess even then the amount that could make it into the tank would very slim right?

My other option is to just buy a trash can which isn't that bad either. I just liked the drum because it had a nice heavy duty removable lid. Is there a good process for cleaning out a new trash can if that's the route I go?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

it doesn't say it kills algae.
i rinse a trash can out with a hose and then use it. same as i did with the blueberry barrel....but that i rinsed about 20 times before i used it.

Tags
55 gallon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com