Assembling my 55g FOWLR (opinions please!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes they would. t-5s with individual reflectors would work fine for that tank. the reflectors are very important. they increase the light intensity immensely.
also, the lamps are very important- ATI and giesemann lamps are the best. i prefer ATI.
you can purchase retro kits and build them into the canopy if you like.

Do you know if the reflectors are meant for an exact fixture or are thy universal? Seems as though t5 fixtures are the same but the ballasts are different for HOs. I can get ballasts and fixtures. Would just need reflectors and bulbs.

I really apologize for all the spiratic questions! Since you're here i'm taking advantage haha!

What's your thought on caribsea aragonite? I found 30lbs dry for $15 on sale. Know if its ok? Looks more tan than the live sand I will be getting. I wonder how it would look mixed up. It's sugar sized.
-Nick

each fixture requires different reflectors.
carib sea aragonite sand is fine. slightly larger than sugar sized if you can get it. any aragonite sand will do.

be careful of the rain barrel. I highly doubt it is new. Many people pressure wash food barrels. the companies only want to transport them full for some reason. Pickles are good. soap would be bad.

also, you are going to want filtered water. RO/DI is best with 0 TDS.

lol..i got a barrel from a company called "sweet ovations" a few years ago. it had blueberry fruit filling in it. it took about a year before i couldn't smell blueberries anymore.

lol..i got a barrel from a company called "sweet ovations" a few years ago. it had blueberry fruit filling in it. it took about a year before i couldn't smell blueberries anymore.

haha! Well I found out that the barrel actually had Barley extract in it and was used for food and beverage production. Think that's an issue? I did some reading and apparently Barley Extract is used in ponds for algae control?! That can't be good? It does safe it's safe for fish and what not but I know there's more involved with coral. Can it be rinsed or washed out with salt water or something?

Barley Straw, Liquid Barley Extract,

hmm..i don't know about barley extract's effects on marine life, but it states it won't hurt your aquatic plants or bacteria either. i don't see how it would become a problem. but i'm not telling you it's ok to use. i'm just making a guess.

hmm..i don't know about barley extract's effects on marine life, but it states it won't hurt your aquatic plants or bacteria either. i don't see how it would become a problem. but i'm not telling you it's ok to use. i'm just making a guess.

So you think it's ok right? :D Kidding! I find it hard to believe that it will kill off algae but not harm anything else? I guess even then the amount that could make it into the tank would very slim right?

My other option is to just buy a trash can which isn't that bad either. I just liked the drum because it had a nice heavy duty removable lid. Is there a good process for cleaning out a new trash can if that's the route I go?

it doesn't say it kills algae.
i rinse a trash can out with a hose and then use it. same as i did with the blueberry barrel....but that i rinsed about 20 times before i used it.

I guess I see that now. Looks like it just helps to keep algae in control.

I did find this while searching which is a really interesting read.

http://www.water-land.co.uk/Control%20of%20Algae%20using%20Barley%20Straw.pdf

Points 4 and 5 on the second page specifically. It looks like hydrogen peroxide is formed in the end result?

So I guess in the end it should be ok. Even if a small amount gets into the tank it shouldn't be nearly enough to effect anything?

Back
Top Bottom