Asterina Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where can I get Asterina Stars from? I think those guys are cool. I would not mine adding them to my clean up crew.

Anyone know where I can get some from?

Most of them just hitch hike on LR when you get it. They are fairly common. I would ask you LFS if they have a tank with them and just see if they will stick a few in a bag for you.

Yeah, I have a binvh who just came on on there own
i.gif

I got 1 on my tank, the LFS sold out on these pretty quickly, fortunate to found one, yeah it's one of those fancy ones, now mine just hanging on the LR.

wow Melosu, that's one awesome pic, I wish I have that much too :) it looks so fancy :)

Thanks Bawel. Frankie, you could never ship them in the winter time esp. to Chicago. They would never survive the cold.

Hey tank, I have an load of asterinas and im only a few hours away in Springfield. Priority mail would probably only take a day, two max. When it gets warmer I'll send you some. Or when baseball season starts I'll be in Chicago every month or so, maybe we can do some swappin. You may see them show up in your tank by then though. I only saw a few in my tank for months then all of a sudden I seemed to have a ton!

Quick questions, are these asterinas star part of snail? I can't seem to find any article on it, does anyone know any site that has any info on it??? Appreciate it, thanks in advance

Description: Small hitchhiker starfish. Generally an algae and detritus grazer, but care should be taken if there are sps corals in the tank. Some may eat the flesh of sps corals. The can reproduce rapidly in the home aquaria and reproduce by dropping a limb. For this reason, often times they are almost never symmetrical and often missing limbs.

Figures, I just found my first one on the glass this morning... And of course it has two limbs missing.

Mel, have you noticed any issues with them munching on any corals?

No I never seen them do that. I`ve had them for over ten yrs now. There are several types of asternia stars. But from what I understand there is only one of them that will mess with corals. Also from what I hear that those type are very rare. Supposedly the bad ones are brown where mine are white as are all the ones I`ve seen.

Back
Top Bottom