Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlion View Post
Just another thought, should I plug in one powerhead when I get enough water in the tank just to keep it moving and from becoming stagnant?
Always a good idea to keep the water moving. I would, I believe it is what I did when I first filled my tank. (not the current one the old 72 a few years back)

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, it is cold here, and I'm using well water the pressure is about 40 PSI and that is as good as it's going to get. I'm really worried about the time it is going to take to fill this tank. I don't think there is anywhere around here where I could buy RO/DI water for the initial fill.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

BTW, I'm looking at your threat for the 120 Build in progress, what a nice looking tank. How did you fill up that tank with water?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I had 90g of water in the pond that was holding all my LR and most of my corals. I had 64g of new SW mixing while I Was taking down the old tank and putting the new on up. I also had a tote with 40g of water and some other corals in it. I had a lot of water on standby and ready to fill the tank.

My RO/DI unit will make 32g in less then 12 hours. I don't know why mine works so fast but it does. Lucky I guess.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Thanx but no.....

Don't bail out now. This is your one chance to have crystal pure water. What are you looking at? 24 hours or so? Get started on 4/5/6 (get the base rock delivered at the same time too if you can)

Make sure you have a handle on the flow rate though so you can estimate when fill up should be done. Wouldn't want it happening at 3am when you're dreaming of your sticking list and overflow everything.

Most importantly... R E L A X
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I am actually kind of bummed about this RO/DI (cost $400) but I didn't know what else to do for the water. I really don't know what I'm going to do when I need a PWC with the LR. Everything I have been reading says to change 50% when curing...there is no way I'm going to be able to do that. Do you have any suggestions for buying RO/DI water, at least till I get this tank up an running?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Acutally do you think that RO water or distilled water alone would work ok? I could probably get either easily, but not RO/DI.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

My water runs around 40 psi too and it takes 4 hrs to fill a 5 gallon jug. Are you running your RO/DI directly into the tank or into smaller containers that you then empty into the tank? I run water into the 5 gallon jugs if it's during the day and into my 20 gallon rubbermaid if it's overnight. You'll need some sort of large container (ideally 20% your total volume) for the future to always have PWC water ready and waiting. If it's big enough you can run it overnight without worrying about overflowing. I've done that a few times...what a mess.

I agree with the suggestion about adding the salt to the sump, not the main tank, but that only works if your system is full of water so you can turn on the pumps and heater. If you can run the RO overnight you may get the system filled sooner?

It's only this hard the first time around - from now on you'll only be doing partial changes! And this is your best opportunity to start out with the best possible water conditions. A couple more days - Hang in there!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would look in getting a booster pump for the Ro/Di unit to bring the pressure on up
Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahh man waiting is going to be horrible, I need to fill this tank with more than 72G to get the sump up and running...oh well you are right about starting with the best water.

Tags
setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com