Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

At a crossroad with tank setup, looking for help!

Hello! Ok here it goes....I bought a 72G Bowfront tank w/ stand and built in overflow, MegaFlow model 2 sump, ASM G1X proteim skimmer, 2 200w submersible heaters, a Mag Drive 950 pump for the return from the sump, Sundial T5HO 48" lighting, and 2 Koralia 4 powerheads. Also bought a MaxCap RO/DI filter. The tank is in place on the stand, the sump is assembled with the protein skimmer inside as well as the heaters and return pump. I have plumbed the sump to the overflow and assembled the overflow accessory kit. I placed the powerheads in the tank and have added my substrate (Argonite sand).

I am now at the point that I need to add water and rock to the tank. My issue is that when running the RO/DI filter i noticed that it produces the clean water very slowly, so I am looking at quite the extended process here for making my water. Here is what I was planning to do:

1. Make water as fast as possible and fill the tank until it overflows into the sump and the water in the sump hits the approprate level to cover all of the pumps (approx midway up the minimum and max line on the sump)
2. Once all water is in place, fire up the filtration and powerheads and get the water all moving.
3. Place my salt mix right into the aquarium with the moving water and mix the water right in the aquarium to the proper salinity (don't want to mix the saltwater as I make it due to the fact that the RO/DI produces water slowly and I don't want the saltwater to sit uncirculated, probably not going to be able to make all of the water in one day)
4. Allow the water to run for a few days until I can get a BR order delivered to me.
5. Place the BR into the aquarium and let it run until I can get 25lbs of LR delivered.
6. Place the LR into the aquarium and allow it to cure, then once cured get another 25lbs of LR delivered and also cure it in the aquarium also.
7. Finally once all LR is cured, do some aquascaping with the rock, then add some nassarius snails, then finally after stabalizing again adding fish.

Just wanted some input from everyone as to their thoughs on what my gameplan is. Sorry to be so wordy and detailed but I'm a NEWB and didn't want to leave any details out. I hope to get some good input as usual and any advice is appreciated. Thanks alot everyone!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Sounds like a solid well thought out plan to me. Any reason you wouldn't just get all the LR at the same time and cure together? There will prob be some living things in that LR , why put em through 2 curing cycles?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was reading an article that said to cure the LR a little at a time, but I would prefer to cure all the LR at once if you think that would be ok.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Thanx but no.....

50lbs? Do it all at once.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool you just saved me a step, making my RO/DI water now, v e r y s l o w l y...Probably going to take me forever at this rate to get the tank filled. Pesky working getting in the way of my FOWLER, haha!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Excellent plan!!!

I agree with Captin, get all your LR at the same time.

When you add the salt mix I would suggest adding it to the sump rather then the main tank. As it is pumped up into the tank it will mix. Also you may want to make sure your water is heated it will aide in the mixing of the SW.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good advice about putting the salt in the sump! The water should be heated as I plan to run everything with just fresh water for at least a day to get the water moving that has been sitting there for a few days.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check that last few days comment, the water may be sitting for quite a while. I just checked on my first batch of RO/DI water and it has been running for 50 mins and the 5G bucket isn't even half full, grrrr.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just another thought, should I plug in one powerhead when I get enough water in the tank just to keep it moving and from becoming stagnant?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cold + low water pressure = slow RO/DI output.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com