At a crossroads...need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shroomers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

This is my very first post here :D but let me give you the run down....

I started a 30 gallon long reef tank on may 11, I added 55 lbs of old dried live rock (made sure to clean it first) and a 1 1/2 " layer of aragonite sand. On may the 15, I added 5 lbs of quality cured live rock. I started testing for my cycle on may 18 and got these results:

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0.50 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Believing this is a "mini-cycle" due to the short time and small numbers to back it up I decided to add 2 shrimp to the tank in a panty hose bag (the raw grocery store kind) to start the cycle while the numbers are up. May 19 (the next day) I did a water test at the same time for comparibility and got these results:

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate 10.0 (actually between 5-10 due to api have the same colour for two values X.X)

I didn't believe from only 5 lbs of cured rock would that be enough die off to start my cycle. So I added the shrimp now that the numbers are going up should I leave the shrimp in there or take them out? Is this a cycle or a mini cycle...I need an idea of what to do now at this stage. Thanks a million and happy fishing :D

I would take one shrimp out. Just leave the rest (rock and shrimp) in and watch your readings. You are not having a mini cycle. When ammonia and nitrite drop back to 0 do a 50% water change then take another reading. If nitrates drop then you can add a cleanup crew (CUC) and a week later if readings are still stable you can start to add fish one at a time.

Okay sounds good...the tank looks excellent and I am starting to get a film on the glass so it is maturing nice, I have never cycled with raw shrimp before only die off from a large source of rock. Took one shrimp out, god awful smell for being in there over night X.X...so its working.

Yes, shrimp decomposes really fast. I like shrimp because it has no fat and is host to a multitude of good bacteria. Main thing is to take your time.

I think it brings more then straight ammonia would.

Back
Top Bottom