Attaching Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekeyofb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a star polyp that was attached to a small piece of rock at the time of purchase. I placed it in my tank. However, the snails and crabs seem to move it around and knock it about very often.

1. Do I attach the current piece of rock and coral to a bigger piece of rock?

2. Do I detach the current piece of coral from the little rock and re-attach it to a bigger piece?

Please inform on how to accomplish either option. If you have another option, please make me aware of that as well. Let me know what type of materials do I need also.

thanks in advance...

I would attach it to a bigger rock. I use superglue gel to attach my corals to a rock. You can also place it on a larger rock and use a piece of fishing line to hold it on and it might attach by itself.

What type of glue would I use to attach wet live rock to wet live rock?

What type of glue would I use to attach wet live rock to wet live rock?

Your LFS should have "HOLD FAST". Its made from the company MARINELAND. Its a green package, and comes with a green tube. Its a 2 part substance, and you just take it out and pull some off and rub it together. You can do it out of the water or underthe water. And it will harden like cement. Works great, it even says on the package, " Bonds live rock, slate, plants, and corals". It worked great for me, but some people will tell you to use the super glue gel. Either is fine.

Marineland Holdfast

here is a link to it. Its quite cheap too. :D Good luck.

It's tha same as AquaStick or the two part epoxy you find in the plumbing section of HomeDepot/Lowes, etc.

SuperGlue gel also works for attaching a small piece of rock to a lerger one.

Thanks alot everyone. I just purchase a green star polyp and some assorted mushrooms. So, as you can tell, I'm just starting my reef. I'm only doing easy corals for now being that I'm a beginner with this. Does anyone have any suggestions on types of corals to get. Currently, I have only purchased low light, filter feeders. I would like to stick to that.

Back
Top Bottom